Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

3rd Party Books on NinjaScript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Party Books on NinjaScript

What are some of the better 3rd party books available on learning NinjaScript and developing your own indicators?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob, unfortunately I'm not aware of books yet dedicated to NinjaScript indicator / strategy coding - the best place to learn might be the sharing section of this forum - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...splay.php?f=37

Of course also our educational section of tips and reference samples is a handy help - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...splay.php?f=29
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Books on Ninjascript

I would recommend the Sams guide C# in 21 days and the MSDN videos on Visual C# Numbers 1 to 7 if you are new to C#. I have found the learnvisualstudio.net videos on beginning C# to be excellent but you have to pay a small fee to obtain these.

As I have often said on this forum Ninja is a brilliant product but it is severely lacking when it comes to instructional videos on the language compared with Ninja's competitors.

The help guide however does contain a good section on using Ninjascript

Comment

Thank you.

MicroAl, thank you for your input. I'll be picking up the Sams guide C# in 21 days as you sugested.

Comment

Which version of C# is implemented in NinjaTrader?

There are several updated versions of C# (e.g. C# 4, C# 5), each with some very nice features for object oriented programming. In my software design & development experience, a modular object oriented design provides a lot of flexibility for enhancing systems without huge rewrites.

Q1: What version of C# is being used in NinjaTrader?

Q2: Is there a resource available that identifies which version of C# & language features are supported by NinjaTrader?

My design for a new type of auto-trader framework will be influenced by answers to the above. Any further resources or links would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Did you ever find an answer to this question. Q1: What version of C# is being used in NinjaTrader?
            If you or someone else could let me know which is the best version of c# to learn

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by supafactor View Post
              Did you ever find an answer to this question. Q1: What version of C# is being used in NinjaTrader?
              If you or someone else could let me know which is the best version of c# to learn

Thanks
              This is about the only 1 I know of.

http://ninjalaunchpad.com/ He is an NT partner last time I checked.

I don't know your background, but "learning a version of .NET" is the least of your concerns. If you know anything about programming, then reading the NT help files should answer most of your questions.

There are some other NT partners that offer NT script training.

There is some usage in this book with NT - but it isn't a tutorial for programming at all.

*I haven't checked for a 3rd edition

p.s. NT 3.5 appears to the baseline.. still support winXP 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                This is about the only 1 I know of.

[url]

*I haven't checked for a 3rd edition
                HOLY CRAPs

Available from these sellers.

2 new from $899.98 11 used from $269.95

Maybe I need to offer mine there for $200!!

I paid retail.. those prices are INSANE... and I do not recommend buying at those prices.

Comment

Originally posted by p8092040 View Post
                  There are several updated versions of C# (e.g. C# 4, C# 5), each with some very nice features for object oriented programming. In my software design & development experience, a modular object oriented design provides a lot of flexibility for enhancing systems without huge rewrites.

Q1: What version of C# is being used in NinjaTrader?

Q2: Is there a resource available that identifies which version of C# & language features are supported by NinjaTrader?

My design for a new type of auto-trader framework will be influenced by answers to the above. Any further resources or links would be appreciated. Thank you.
                  I am astonished that there has not been a clear answer so far.

Q1: NinjaTrader requires .NET Framework 3.5. This version of the framework supports C# 3.0. The internal version number of the compiler is C# 9.0. As the compiler comes with the .Net Framework, you do not need to care about it. The answer is therefore that NinjaTrader is based on C# version 3.0

Q2: NinjaScript is an extension of C# 3.0. Therefore all C# 3.0 language features should be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by supafactor View Post

Thanks
                    You could learn any version of C#. There are only minor differences. The current version 7 of NinjaTrader is based on C# 3.0, the next version should be based on C# 4.0 (.Net Framework 4.5).

The language version supported by NinjaTrader is what is known as Visual C# 2008. But today I would certainly buy a book on Visual C# 2010 or Visual C# 2012. All key words and command can be looked up online in the MSDN library, so in case that a feature is not supported by an older version, it is easy to find out.

You do not need any book on coding NinjaScript. Just start to copy code from existing indicators until you understand it. Ask questions here and at Big Mike's Trading Forum, which has many threads dedicated to NinjaTrader coding.

Comment

Harry thanks, you have answered my question exactly. I agree it seemed to me to be a pretty simple question that p8092040 asked months ago. I have been trading forex for about 5 years and my spreadsheet tells me I'm returning on average about 16% per year. So I decide instead of siting in front of the screen all day maybe I should automate it using the same rules I have used for the last 5 years which seem to work manually. So I am standing in a book shop with seemingly 50 different versions of c# covered. Now thanks to you I know what to look for. Once I have the basics of c# I can move onto the actual ninja script. If it doesnt work out I guess I'll just go back to the old steam driven manual method and hopefully make 16% this year as well.

Comment

hey supafactor thats exactly the method I used, get the basics of c# first.Harrys right on the money, just copy some code from the existing indicators and you will pick it up. Goodluck

Comment

hey shocker

Click image for larger version

Name:	result.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	869486

not bad hey shocker

Comment

no way 3 months ago you were asking questions about what C# was now look at you. Just be careful going live backtesting and live very different.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post cre8able  
                            Started by Fran888, 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Sam2515