Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

PC or Data Time - big Problem - Urgent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC or Data Time - big Problem - Urgent

Is Ninja using my PC time or Market time when trading?

I have attached 2 files, one showing a Ninja chart and one showing a QuoteTracker chart of exactly the same time frame on the same instrument.

If I am right, and Ninja is using my PC time to actually draw candles, this cannot be acceptable..... I am not trading on my PC, I am trading on the NYSE. Please, please tell me this isn't true, and tell me how to fix this problem... Is this only in sim mode?

I'm using IB, if that is of any help...
    Attached Files

When using IB you will have timestamps all done locally by your PC clock. Please ensure you have your PC clock in sync.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
      When using IB you will have timestamps all done locally by your PC clock. Please ensure you have your PC clock in sync.
      Thanks for the fast answer. But please, please tell me, is this a Ninja or an IB issue? If it's IB, which broker(s) can I use to avoid this absolutely unacceptable issue...

I will change Broker to avoid this, as I cannot accept the idea of "oh I just lost 2k because my PC clock (programmed my Microsoft) is out of sync...."

We are trading real money here, and (if I am convinced by Ninja) paying real money for a programme. It cannot be that it all comes down to my PC clock. I need to trade the NYSE clock, even if it's wrong, because that's the clock that I will win or lose on....

Really, I am just learning to trade.... but what I have learned is that it all comes down to Price, Volume, and Time.... Well, I need Time to trade, NYSE Time....

Comment

Rigsby66,

The IB adapter is timestamped locally by your PC clock. If you want data that is natively timestamped you can try eSignal, DTNIQ, BarChart.

Comment

Rigsby66,

The IB adapter is timestamped locally by your PC clock. If you want data that is natively timestamped you can try eSignal, DTNIQ, BarChart.
          Cheers, thanks for the help.... Sorry for the language, but that really is crap from IB.....

Comment

Rigsby66,

I went to bed tired after my last post.... And now realize that the question is really only half answered..

If this is an IB issue, why am I getting different 1 min candles in Ninja than in QuoteTracker? They are both getting their data from IB on my machine...?

Then I reread the above reply to my question and realized that the answer was "The IB adapter...." not IB, but the adapter; so this is an issue on how Ninja connects to IB, or am I missunderstanding this?

Comment

The data comes in all the same. I do not know how your other software timestamps your bars, but NinjaTrader timestamps work as END OF BAR timestamps. Timestamps are based on your LOCAL time zone too.

Comment

The data comes in all the same. I do not know how your other software timestamps your bars, but NinjaTrader timestamps work as END OF BAR timestamps. Timestamps are based on your LOCAL time zone too.

Ok, thanks josh! I understand what you are saying, but I need to ask this:

Using my IB Data feed, QuoteTracker and IB's own charts are showing near enough the same data.

Just on the internet, without IB data, even freestockcharts.com fits to this data almost. Yahoo is showing me very similar charts, Finviz too. Google Finance is showing almost identical charts.... The only totally different 1 minute charts are being generated by Ninja... and this is worring me.

At the moment I love ninja, and am testing it before buying. On the grounds of what I have so far seen, even if this is an issue between Ninja and IB, I would rather change brokers that stop using Ninja.... However, I do need to find out what my issue is here.

Comment

Rigsby,

Unfortunately I do not understand what you are asking for. The data is the same. Your charts in the screenshots even look the same. The timestamp in NinjaTrader is end of bar timestamps and in this case will be timestamped in your local timezone.

You need to ensure your PC clock is synced and then you can also just right click on your chart and select "Reload Historical Data" which will repopulate your data with the historical set IB provides.

Comment

Rigsby,

Unfortunately I do not understand what you are asking for. The data is the same. Your charts in the screenshots even look the same. The timestamp in NinjaTrader is end of bar timestamps and in this case will be timestamped in your local timezone.

You need to ensure your PC clock is synced and then you can also just right click on your chart and select "Reload Historical Data" which will repopulate your data with the historical set IB provides.
                    I am not testing my startergy on Historical data. I don't care about historical data as I cannot trade it, if I could trade it, I would be a very wealthy man. I am testing my startergy on live data.

If my PC clock is out of sync then it is out of sync for all of my charting tools, so ninja should not produce different charts than the others also using the IB feed.

The charts in my screen shot do not look thae same: The lowest low (red) in the ninja shot is followed by a green matching low. So a double bottom. The second chart (right) shows no double bottom. If I wished to play double bottoms, which I am not thankfully, this difference in chart data would be very worrying! Which candles have you campared to state the two shots look the same?

I am not picking an argument here. I am not atacking ninja. I simply want to see where this issue is coming from so that I can programme accordingly.

Comment

As stated, you absolutely have to sync your PC clock. Unfortunately there is no if or buts about this fact of the matter.

Comment

As stated, you absolutely have to sync your PC clock. Unfortunately there is no if or buts about this fact of the matter.
                        "If my PC clock is out of sync then it is out of sync for all of my charting tools, so ninja should not produce different charts than the others also using the IB feed."
                        So, the issue isn't the sync, it's the difference in drawings on my screen.... Please just tell me which chart I should believe in order to risk my money on the NYSE..

A simple question: If I sync my clock, do the candles drawn on my 1 minute chart in Ninja and fed of IB represent acurately the price action at the NYSE? Yes or No?

Second simple question: (I am a programmer not a real trader - and you are the expert on trading with Ninja) Why do different charting programmes show different candle formations though been fed from the same data stream?

You see I did sync my clock and I am still getting different candles drawn. In fact, I have created my own Net Send wraparound directly in my stratergy that syncs the clock....

Last simple question: Is there an issue with Ninja and IB?

Comment

Rigsby66,

NT receives data from IB. Whatever data IB sends out NT shows. When a bar comes in on a new minute it closes the previous bar and opens a new one. Very simple. There is nothing fancy here. Everything is timestamped by YOUR PC clock and YOUR current timezone. You need to sync the PC clock to ensure the timestamping from your PC comes out the same as IBs. You then should reload historical data to fix any issues you have had with previous bars when you were not in sync.

Could not comment on other software.

Not sure what your NetSend would do. You should sync your PC clock before you open NT.

Many of our customers use IB and NT together very successfully every day.

Comment

Rigsby66,

NT receives data from IB. Whatever data IB sends out NT shows. When a bar comes in on a new minute it closes the previous bar and opens a new one. Very simple. There is nothing fancy here. Everything is timestamped by YOUR PC clock and YOUR current timezone. You need to sync the PC clock to ensure the timestamping from your PC comes out the same as IBs. You then should reload historical data to fix any issues you have had with previous bars when you were not in sync.

Could not comment on other software.

Not sure what your NetSend would do. You should sync your PC clock before you open NT.

Many of our customers use IB and NT together very successfully every day.
                            Cool, Thanks Josh,

so I know there are no issues with ninja, so the other charting software is showing the wrong candles.

My Net send is syncronizing my PC clock at every start of Ninja.... I like to have this automatic, so I don't forget. But, given your comments about doing this before I open NT I have now scripted this to run at Windows startup.

cheers

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by mjairg, 07-20-2023, 11:57 PM
                            3 responses
                            1 like
                            Last Post PaulMohn  
                            Started by TheWhiteDragon, 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes