Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Public DataSeries or else - how to read the PNL of a strategy from another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a word of warning: introducing inheritance levels beyond what the NinjaScript wizard provides is not supported. It may or may not work. You would need to try/test on your own.

Comment

I agree with you, Dierk. Especially with regards to the lifetime of a strategy/indicator (Dispose/Destruction), own object-instantiations need to be tested veeery carefully.

Regards
      Ralph

Comment

Hi r2kTrader,

I opened a new thread "Data Transfer between Strategies" with the code example.

Regards
        Ralph

Comment

Dierk,

Everytime I read a reply like this from NT, it motivates me more and more to look elsewhere at products that have stronger debuggers and the source is more open.

It is hard enough to code something to the way you want it, but then to not have a debugger and of course lack of insight into the base class and members is even more frustrating. So when we are told that you can't help us, we are on our own, and it might not work, etc. blah blah, it's very inspiring to say the least, lol.

I hope you realize you are developing a culture. I'm beginning to get a better idea of what it is you want from said.

And please don't tell me we can use VS to debug as that is really more of a kludge and not everyone is going to drop the cash to buy the IDE from MS.

What good is using C# if we can't even use inheritance without a reprimand from NT (rather than information on how best to approach what we are discussing).

Again, NT is developing its culture. We are supposed to be on the same team. Instead it is though you are implying we are on are own and that the code boogie man might get us. It's very bizzare I must say and quite unusual for a software which claims that it offers robust development by embracing a standard language like C#.

Something is not quite right in this regard and with the competition fast moving, it might behoove NT to re-examine how they wish to define their development culture.

Just my nickle stemming out of the continued frustration from trying to work around closed source.

Instead of a word of "warning", how about a word of "encouragement" or "insight" or "knowledge". It's a very negative slant for people who are trying to get the most from their trading platform. Please think about this.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          Just a word of warning: introducing inheritance levels beyond what the NinjaScript wizard provides is not supported. It may or may not work. You would need to try/test on your own.

Comment

I hear you and I understand your frustration. In your post you addressed the major point: NT is "closed source" and never was promoted nor positioned as "open source" (or whatever the opposite of closed source would be). We designed NT to work within the boundaries of documented NinjaScript, it never was (nor is) our intend to provide an "low level" API to allow you implementing your "custom trading app".

That being said:
            - We limit features and support to the boundaries above.
            - We are not to say your requirements would be unreasonable or such. They just "might" go beyond what NT and it's support model is setup for.

Thanks for your understanding

Comment

Dierk,

I'm going to stop here because I don't see this going in a positive direction. You have made it clear that I may be better served by other platforms and I respectfully agree.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
              I hear you and I understand your frustration. In your post you addressed the major point: NT is "closed source" and never was promoted nor positioned as "open source" (or whatever the opposite of closed source would be). We designed NT to work within the boundaries of documented NinjaScript, it never was (nor is) our intend to provide an "low level" API to allow you implementing your "custom trading app".

That being said:
              - We limit features and support to the boundaries above.
              - We are not to say your requirements would be unreasonable or such. They just "might" go beyond what NT and it's support model is setup for.

Thanks for your understanding

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by kaywai, Today, 06:26 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post kaywai
              by kaywai

Started by ct, 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
              6 responses