Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Neural Networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my work covers different areas:

* Indicator framework: This framework adds some general features. For example, it allows to use commands (like in a console) to describe and chain indicators (of course indicators can still be added to a chart the traditional way). The purpose of this is to allow indicators to be calculated on other indicators (which can be theoretically chained indefinitely) and to be able to quickly try out things without it being necessary to write a spearate indicator (also for people who don't want to do any programming). For example, the command

Code:
    StdDev(20)[WMA(14)[High]] ~2 -10pips, MUL(MAX(StdDev(20)[SMA(14)[High]], 200), 0.8){Red}
    would display two indicators: First the 20 bar standard deviation of a 14 bar weighted moving average which has been calculated using the highs. Furthermore this indicator is horizontally displaced by 2 bars and vertically by -10 pips. The second indicator calculates the maximum of the first one within 200 bars and multiplies it by 0.8. The command also says to plot the second indicator in red (the settings of the plot can of course still be adjusted manually).

This is just a rather meaningless example but I think you get the point. You can chain any indicators (and also perform basic mathematical operations on them) without needing to explicitly program a separate one.

This command syntax works with any indicator (including the predefined NT ones and the ones you might have developed yourself). Using the workaround of a "strategy" it is also possible to plot indicators on one chart which have been calculated using different timeframes and/or instruments (e.g. plot the value of the SMA(20) from the daily chart on the hourly chart). This can also be used to directly compare instruments (e.g. how EUR/USD and EUR/GBP evolved in comparison to each other since day x).

* Indicators: Built on top of this framework I also developed some proprietary indicators. They don't do any exotic calculations I made up myself but mostly build on known concepts and extend them (i.e. add more features and calculate more data). This includes improving indicators which are already availiable in some other form as well as providing indicators for things for which no NT indicators exist yet. One focus lies for example on swing point and trend detection and analysis. All indicators are made both for being displayed on a chart and for being used in other indicators and strategies. Furthermore they all provide data which is especially geared towards being used in automated strategies (like the mentioned trend detection). Some indicators also use Excel to display their results, e.g. the average volatility depending on the time of the day.

* Strategy framework: I also built a framework for strategies which sits on top of the NT framework and can be used for custom strategies. This framework offers functions such as automatic handling (i.e. no need to explicitly code that) of OCO and bracket (i.e. stop loss and take profit) orders. Simulated orders are also possible. The framework also automatically gathers lots of data about each trade and stores it in a separate external database (if the data gathered by the framework is not enough for you then you can also add your own custom data). This data can then be analyzed in myriad of ways to optimize the strategies. Excel is used to show the analyses and the associated graphs. Not only the results of a single strategy can be analyzed but also of portfolios of strategies at once.

* MATLAB Interface: This interface allows NT and MATLAB to interact (exchange data, execute commands). This is for people who want to do their own stuff in MATLAB and who wish to connect that to NT.

* Excel Interface: This interface is similar to the one above and allows data to be sent to and read from Excel. This can be, for example, used to use Excel's charting features to display data or to perform calculations in Excel and read the result back into NT.

* Neural Network Kit: This kit allows to define, train, analyze and use neural networks. Two kinds of networks are supported: feed-forward networks (the classic NNs) and self-organizing maps. This kit uses MATLAB (and its neural network toolkit) to perform the necessary calculations (hence the user is required to have a MATLAB installation). However, it is completely integrated into NT (the neural networks are encapsulated in NT indicators) and it is transparent to the user how the calculations are actually done. So no MATLAB knowledge is required (however you need to understand how neural networks work in general and what you want to do with them).

So far I haven't seen any of this offered by any other 3rd party vendor (that's why I have started to develop this for myself in the first place) so I'm quite excited about it (also to use it in my own strategies) and hope it sounds exciting to other people too.

There are, however, also a few things my work does not cover: All these things are supposed to be tools for (semi-)professionals to help them with both their discretionary and especially their automated trading. However, all of the tools are just building blocks to better enable people to make their own strategies. There will be no magic indicators, black box strategies, holy grails or other get rich quick schemes (opposed to what most other 3rd party vendors seem to be trying to sell). I might include some strategies as examples of how to get most out of the strategy framework and the indicators but I don't plan on selling any strategies per se. Developing those will be up to you. I will also only provide the tools to create and use neural networks but no predefined networks.

Since, as you have mentioned, these things are all rather complex, it will still take a little while for me to finish everything. And then I also have to set up a website, write a proper documentation for everything (so people can get the most out of it) etc.

Comment

You are promising some superb functionality .

If you can actually build and reliably deliver all this, then NinjaTrader should buy the technology from you and use it as the basis for an "NinjaTrader Pro" product.

Chris

Comment

terenyi,

Thanks for the outline. It sounds very interesting. The building block method choosen to develop your work and access these areas is an excellent idea. Good luck.

Comment

here is a link to call matlab in c#

Create an Active X server using C#, using MATLAB as the client, hook into events and pass arrays ...
          Last edited by whself beginner; 09-07-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by terenyi View Post
            * MATLAB Interface: This interface allows NT and MATLAB to interact (exchange data, execute commands). This is for people who want to do their own stuff in MATLAB and who wish to connect that to NT.

* Excel Interface: This interface is similar to the one above and allows data to be sent to and read from Excel. This can be, for example, used to use Excel's charting features to display data or to perform calculations in Excel and read the result back into NT.

* Neural Network Kit: ....

Honestly terenyi, you should consider focusing on the top two more than the 3rd...Turning ninja into basically a COM bridge between ninja supported data vendors and matlab/excel would be sick...Not to mention you could also use matlab to basically bypass ninjas database and use any database you want, seamlessly..
            The NN kit I'm sure would find some interest..right up until people figure out how much it costs for matlab plus the needed toolkits...then the sticker shock would send them running ASAP.
            Last edited by darthtrader; 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I don't know what brokers you all use, but you can set up code in Matlab to work directly with IB's API, and for data feeds you can either subscribe for IB's or you can just scrape Yahoo Finance. You can also set it up to export that data into Excel (not recommended) or whatever other database you want. Excel usually explodes after a few hours of continuous data.

Comment

I second that motion.

Originally posted by Operandi View Post
                You are promising some superb functionality .

If you can actually build and reliably deliver all this, then NinjaTrader should buy the technology from you and use it as the basis for an "NinjaTrader Pro" product.

Chris

Comment

Darth,

The total cost would be a good morning of trading for anyone who even gets what this thread is about. (in my opinion).

"You wan't win Darth" (no reason, I just had to quote that line from Obi Wan.)

The NN is attractive to me.

Originally posted by darthtrader View Post
                  Honestly terenyi, you should consider focusing on the top two more than the 3rd...Turning ninja into basically a COM bridge between ninja supported data vendors and matlab/excel would be sick...Not to mention you could also use matlab to basically bypass ninjas database and use any database you want, seamlessly..
                  The NN kit I'm sure would find some interest..right up until people figure out how much it costs for matlab plus the needed toolkits...then the sticker shock would send them running ASAP.

Comment

Haven't been in this forum for a while but I wanted to report that I'm finally working on this project again!

Comment

Keep us posted, terenyi. A dll that links to Matlab is something that I'd definitely be interested in buying.

Comment

So 4 years later and nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper View Post
                          So 4 years later and nothing?
                          Does this suffice?

We are sorry, we could not find the page you were looking for. Consider one of thefollowing destinations: Encog Project Jeff Heaton’s Books Jeff Heaton’s Blog Artificial Intelligence for Humans Down

Comment

No as that no longer works with NT?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                            Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
                            1 response