Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaScript Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaScript Documentation

I take a pretty close look at some of the example code posted by the many helpful people on this forum in an effort to improve my coding knowledge with NT. It is not unusual for me to come accross class properties, methods, etc. for which I can find no documentation. For example, in Josh's very helpful VWAP indicator, Bars.MarketDataSubscribed is used. I can find no documentation that describes Bars.MarketDataSubscribed. There also seems to be a dearth of documentation describing Bars objects although there are many referrals to Bars objects. This is just an example. Are there many potentially helpful "undocumented" NT properties, methods, etc that we are not privy to or am I just not finding the info in the NT help? I have tried thoroughly going through the documentation, used the search capabilities, and have been unable to find reference to some of these items. Am I missing something? Is there additional documentation that I am not aware of? I can often surmise what I think is going on by the code usage but it would surely help save me a lot of time if I could find documentation. Thanks.

I am not asking specifically for more info on Bars.MarketDataSubscribed which I am using as an example, but the more global question on whether there are a lot of potentially helpful undocumented programming features of NT.
    Last edited by higler; 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM.

highler, thanks for the post - generally was is documented in our NinjaScript language reference or the educational section on the forums here ( http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...splay.php?f=29 ) is supported - the other methods can be accessed but then you're moving onto unsupported (potentially code breaking in later releases) territory.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I agree completely with higler on this. There really should be a section set up for this purpose as well as the section that was never set up concerning conversion references from other platforms. As far as code breaking, there is enough of that even with supported code. Bad argument.
      eDanny
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Guys, let me try to outline the limitations of what we support:
        As Ray stated here (post #4)

.. we have a very clear understanding of what would and what would not be supported in NT. Supported basically would mean it's documented, in case something is not documented then we would not support it (exceptions prove the rule).

We very well understand that NT would have way more useful features than you would find in the documentation. However, for the reasons outlined by Ray's post above we very strictly limit ourselves to "documented NinjaScript".

Comment

This doesn't address the lack of a section devoted to unsupported code.
          eDanny

Comment

How so? as explained below "unsupported" is equivalent to "not documented": we either support a feature, then we would document it or we would not support it, then we would not document.

Comment

I'm meaning a section where users could support each other and where users could look for help with undocumented features/code.
              eDanny

Comment

You mean here on the forum? That's something we'll consider.

Comment

That's exactly what I mean, thanks. We also have asked for a section for cross platform code conversions in the past. Please consider that also.
                  eDanny

Comment

Thanks. Noted down as well.

Comment

eDanny,

After repeatedly asking for same, I gave up and just took matters into my own hands. I am a beginner programmer, but I'm getting along.

Here is the thread:

Please come and join us. I want to get a voice together regarding this very matter.

Thanks!

(Ray?)

Originally posted by eDanny View Post
                      I'm meaning a section where users could support each other and where users could look for help with undocumented features/code.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                      Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Brevo