Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Help Menu Tip - Tired of help getting in the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Menu Tip - Tired of help getting in the way?

If you write custom scripts and are like me, then you have no doubt grown tired of the annoying way in which the help menu (pressing F1 from within the script editor) gets in the way of your coding (always on top), thus requiring you to go to your program bar and manually select indicator. Quite annoying.

Anyway, what I do is create a short cut to the help menu directly and then add it to my quicklaunch dilio on my taskbar, thus making it easily available when I have a question.

The file can be found in:
    C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6.5\doc

I also attached a zipped shortcut you can unzip on your desktop.

I hope this helps others who are tired of having to navigate around the help window.
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thanks for the contribution. If it helps programmable hot keys will be available in NT7:
    NT7 Release info:
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

r2kTrader,
      Thanks for the tip. I've just added the help file to my quicklaunch.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x_Newbie View Post
        r2kTrader,
        Thanks for the tip. I've just added the help file to my quicklaunch.
        Awesome! Glad it could help.

I am going to start a development Wiki for Undocumented Ninja Classes, Methods, etc.

I'm going to start a thread here called Unsupported/Undocumented Tips & Tricks and see if we have enough interest. If we do, I am going to launch a wiki.

It will include 6.5 (for those who can't easily convert to 7 and want to keep running 6.5, but might need a fix or tweak) and of course 7.

Here is an example which will also be my first post.

How to automatically load a workspace from within a strategy. This comes in handy if you have that perfect workspace for a certain strategy. I did this as an addendum to continue Marc's technique to auto-load a strategy and connect on startup!

Here it is. This would go in initialize and you would need the full pathname to the workspace file you want to load.

Change to match your named workspace:
        NinjaTrader.Gui.WorkspaceOptions.SwitchWorkspace("D:\\Documents and Settings\\User\\My Documents\\NinjaTrader 6.5\\workspaces\\123.xml", true);

( I also got NT working fine under D: after installing on C:. It became necessary as my tick data was filling up my C: which is primarly reserved for applications.)

Comment

r2kTrader,
          I noticed that you have already started the thread for Unsupported/Undocumented Tips & Tricks.

That's a great idea.

I can't help with the wiki as I'm just learning C#/Visual Studio & NT so you can tell I will appreciate any help that's available in the forums/wiki on NT.

Without "Live" technical support, a development wiki is really needed.

Another tip may be to tell where the source code is for the
          strategies/Indicators as it took me hours to find where they were using the forum. Also some help on how to safely remove the "System" strategies/indicators that are pre-populated from these folders if that's possible. While the NT code in these folders is helpful, I would rather ONLY have my indicators & Strategies in the folders after learning the basics. Another tip could be on how to test with Visual Studio. A list of known bugs & work-arounds would also be good.

I'm not suggesting that you to do these things but if you are creating a Table of Contents of Tips, these are some ideas from a beginner's perspective.

Comment

I wouldn't be in a hurry to blast out the default indicators. For example: NT has SMA() in one of their default classes and if you took that out, it might break the Strategy class.

As far as using VS 2008, there are already How-To's you will find helpful.

The type of tips I am focused on is primarily getting "things done" that are not supported, but needed. Many things that have plagued the members have been addressed in 7, but it is still in beta and some strategies won't convert easily. So in the meantime...

Also, even with 7, there are things which won't be supported, that many traders will need. The thread is focused on programmers more than users. It's to fill the gap between retail traders who want to use a wizard, and those who really want to use C# to get things done to the best of their ability.

Thanks and welcome to NT,

Originally posted by 4x_Newbie View Post
            r2kTrader,
            I noticed that you have already started the thread for Unsupported/Undocumented Tips & Tricks.

That's a great idea.

I can't help with the wiki as I'm just learning C#/Visual Studio & NT so you can tell I will appreciate any help that's available in the forums/wiki on NT.

Without "Live" technical support, a development wiki is really needed.

Another tip may be to tell where the source code is for the
            strategies/Indicators as it took me hours to find where they were using the forum. Also some help on how to safely remove the "System" strategies/indicators that are pre-populated from these folders if that's possible. While the NT code in these folders is helpful, I would rather ONLY have my indicators & Strategies in the folders after learning the basics. Another tip could be on how to test with Visual Studio. A list of known bugs & work-arounds would also be good.

I'm not suggesting that you to do these things but if you are creating a Table of Contents of Tips, these are some ideas from a beginner's perspective.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post algospoke  
            Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred