Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

how to delete an old, incorrect .dll file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to delete an old, incorrect .dll file

While importing a strategy and indicator that a friend developed, I inadvertently ended up with two files, (one was a .cs and one was a .dll file) from a previous version somehow stuck on my hard drive, which were preventing me from importing new NinjaScript files.

We deleted these files directly from the hard drive. Now when I try to compile any indicator or strategy it gives me a error message saying that it can not find the .dll file -- the one that I just deleted that wasn't supposed to be in there at all. I don't want it to be "found" by the system because it was telling me the file has errors.

I can't get a screenshot within the size limits to send, but the Error Message states:
    "Metadata file 'C:\Documents and Settings\LG\My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\GVsStuff.dll' could not be found"
    NinjaScriptFile: blank
    Code: CS0006 click for info
    Line: 0
    Column: 0

How can I delete the .dll file and also all the stuff associated with it? Or what else can I do to solve this problem.

Additional question: I notice that there are also two files in the Custom folder that end in .cs and .dll that also might be stray files from this bad install. Are there supposed to be any files in the Custom folder other than NinjaTrader.Custom.*** and NinjaTrader.Vendor.*** and AssemblyInfo.cs ?
    Last edited by LG; 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: add another question

LG,

You should never manually delete files unless instructed to by NinjaTrader support as you would not know the relationship it has with other files. At this point in time I would suggest you do a clean reinstall of NinjaTrader by uninstalling it, removing Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5 completely, reinstall NinjaTrader. You will lose all your files and settings so be sure to backup what you want first.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Josh.
      That's pretty much the reply I expected.
      Usually I'm a fairly well-behaved NT user. I only deleted the files because I read this

and I was trying to avoid the complete re-install.

Comment

LG,

What you can try is to remove all the extra .dll/.cs from Custom directory. The files you have named are required so please leave those. If it still does not work after restarting NT, you will have to reinstall cleanly.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just in case some other unlucky user has the same problem:

What happened was that after I believed I had deleted a previous strategy, and it no longer showed up on the list accessed through Tools|Edit NinjaScript|Strategy, I couldn't import any new NinjaScript -- got error message. I found out that I still had files related to that bad strategy in My Documents/NT6.5/bin/Custom.

When I also couldn't delete it using
          File|Utilities|Remove NinjaScript Assembly
          then I went into My Documents/NT6.5/bin/Custom and deleted all (the .dll and .cs) files that I knew were related to this bad strategy.
          That removed it (in the sense that it didn't show up in the Custom folder) but I still had problems importing and/or compiling new NinjaScript -- it kept asking for the now-deleted file. That's when I sent in the support request.

Today I followed your instructions to back up important pieces and then COMPLETELY uninstall (including Search for NinjaTrader*) and then reinstall NinjaTrader 6.5 and all is working properly now. That seems to usually be the answer when funky things happen with home-made NinjaScript.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DJ888
          by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
          0 responses