Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Programmer's Reference Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmer's Reference Manual

Hi Ninja Trader,

Firstly from what I can see, you have developed a first rate product that appears to be based on sound Object-Oriented design principals. Finally, a modern produce, well done!

I have been a System's Engineer since leaving university in 1980. I have been developing Object-Oriented systems since being trained in this approach in the UK in 1990.

I've been doing a lot of work with eSignal data flows over the past 12 months and wish to apply the trading domain knowledge I have acquired to produce an Automatic Trading System using a more modern framework than offered by eSignal. I'd like to better understand your object hierarchy so I can access more than just the Indicator, and Strategies described in your online manuals.

Is it possible to access a complete UML hierarchy diagram of Ninja and or a current Programmer's reference manual? Also, I have not been able to find a reference to your open source repository so I can download the latest source code for both the 6.5 release and the new version 7 release. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Paul

Hello,

You are well beyond our level of support, sorry. I can help you with these methods etc:

You are welcome to do what you speak of, and I suspect many do, however we only support the platform generally and the list of methods etc. above.

You can however, get help from other programmers on the forum who deal with what you are working on.

Our NT7 help guide for NS is still being developed.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Paul,

I don't believe a UML hierarchy diagram is available, nor is NT open source in terms of its platform. What is open source however is its indicator, strategies, bartypes, etc.

If you want reference samples you can go here
      If you want the manual which gives all information about the platform, including information about its event driven indicator / strategy development and functions, you can go here (download pdf) or here (online)
      If you wish to see some indicator and their underlying code, go here

Any programmer / engineer specific questions, just ask. There are many knowledgeable people in this forum.
      mrlogik
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Purelogik Trading

Comment

Originally posted by mrlogik View Post
        Paul,

I don't believe a UML hierarchy diagram is available, nor is NT open source in terms of its platform. What is open source however is its indicator, strategies, bartypes, etc.
        That's a pity. If you want to communicate a design to a large technical audience, nothing does it like a hierarchy diagram or a seqence diagram. Do you think Ninja would be up to sucking their code into Magicdraw which automatically creates diagrams from C# or Java code?
        If you want reference samples you can go here
        If you want the manual which gives all information about the platform, including information about its event driven indicator / strategy development and functions, you can go here (download pdf) or here (online)
        If you wish to see some indicator and their underlying code, go here

Any programmer / engineer specific questions, just ask. There are many knowledgeable people in this forum.
        Many thanks for this. The information about events should be very useful.

Comment

pbcah,

I recommend mentioning that it the suggestions area:

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. This is on our list of future considerations.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
              Thanks for the suggestion. This is on our list of future considerations.
              Why wait until the future (rarely happens). If I can get licensed access to the build, I can generate as many diagrams as makes sense. If it helps, I've been doing OOAD development and modelling since being trained by the learning tree in the UK in 1990. I also developed a C++ reverse engineering tool in 1991 to explore and communicate a large telecommunications system to a large team of developers.

Comment

pbcah,

Your suggestion has already been noted. We are always looking to improve documentation, but our priorities at this point in time is to iron out bugs in NT7 beta. After that we will be revisiting documentation and will consider all suggestions at that point in time. Thank you for understanding.
                Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

One suggestion if you want to see the OO "design" of NinjaTrader, use .NET Reflector. Then use some of .NET Reflector add-ons to disassemble the output to C# files. Note, the implementation code (method body) is protected (most likely by Remotesoft Protector). But you can still see at least very high level class design hierarchies this way, method signatures, etc.

I believe Visual Studio 2010 has UML capabilities now but haven't personally tried sucking in the NinjaTrader DLL yet.

Worse case (or perhaps better case as you sometimes learn details of the design better), you could build the UML by hand with the info you get from .NET Reflector with your favorite UML CASE tool of choice.

JD

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                  Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes