Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Advice on Learning how to Program for NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Learning how to Program for NT

Hi,

I've been using NT for a while and plan to continue using for some time to come. But for me to really achieve my goals for indicators, backtesting and Autotrading I need to learn how to program and start writing my own scripts.

Any suggestions on how one gets started in this world of programming? I thought of taking a class on C# at a local community college or books on the subject. But are there any better methods out there that could shorten the learning curve a bit and be more focused? I have ZERO experience in programming.

Thanks.

NickF

Hello,

First, what I would do is attend one of our beginner level development events for free:

That will give you a starting point. Then just start programming and posting questions on this forum. Its like learning a spoken language, you have to use it to learn it. The index on the help guide is helpful:

Also, go through these tutorials:
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Learning C#

Nick

I found the Sams book learn C# in 24 hours to be excellent. It explains things in a really basic way which was ideal for me.

There are a number of web sites you could try. One that has been recommended on this forum is http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/csharp/csharp.html which details a basic C# course. Try the MSDN site for some comprehensive C sharp learning videos. These will be based around C# programming using Visual Studio but you can download Visual Studio Express for now charge and use it permanently to learn C#.

Learnvisualstudio.net has a number of videos on C# programming for beginners. They do a series which is console based which I think is very good. There is a small charge for access to their site.

Finally at the other end of the scale if you wish to really get into C# programming I would recommend the Appdev courses which I find excellent (Appdev.com). Be aware however that the video part of their courses (not the coursebooks or sample programming) appears to be licenced under other sites such as learnwindows.now for a cheaper price.

Comment

Nick,

you can also have a look at Murach's C#2008. another i came across on C#2008 is by deitel. very detailed explanation for beginners.

Comment

Thanks guys. your replies have been helpful. Now on to another learning journey...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Javierw.ok  
          Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post bltdavid