Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Problem using SendMail()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem using SendMail()

With the SMTP setup dialog box open, and the fields blank (i.e. the default server), clicking the "Test..." button causes: Failed to send mail. Error connecting to server. www.ninjatrader-support2.com!

Does this mean there is no default server any longer?

I filled the fields with the information for my personal email... and clicking the "Test..." button now causes: Failed to send mail: 503 Error: authentication not enabled (it is the case that this ISP does not require authentication...) But, it appears NT requires authentication

Next I filled the fields with the information for a gmail account... clicking the Test.. button eventually genetates a "This program is not responding" error for the Control Center..... the only way out is to END NOW -- crashing out NT. There is no error message, nor any other indication of what is failing...

In each case I am using exactly the same settings as are used in the Outlook account setups.

Nothing pertinent is in the trace file. this is in NT6.5

I have run out of things to try...

Any ideas / suggestions appreciated.

Gordo

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

Who is your ISP provider? NinjaTrader has to connect to a mail server. This is different then your email account login information.

Generally this will be an email SMTP server provided by your ISP.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.

My first question: with the form blank... Doesn't work....

is there nolonger a "default" server, as indicated?

Which ISP do you want? I documented two seperate failures on two different ISPs

I think I understand the issue with the first one... This ISP does not require sender authentication... NT does.
      (I don't know enough to understand why NT requires this... )
      I do know that in most email clients I have used, it is something you choose, followed by a choice to use the same user/password as the login, or a different user and password.
      Anyway, the ISP is Advanced Cable Communications, known on the net as www.myacc.net.

The other one, I thought was pretty clear, gmail is hosted by google....

Is that what you wanted?

I don't know what you mean by "This is different than your email login" See above discussion re:sender authentication... As I indicated, the first ISP does not require authentication. In the gmail case, authentication is required, and it says to use the same user / password as the login....
      If I have misunderstod this, then perhaps this is exactly my problem.

Allow me to reiterate. I would MUCH prefer to get the default server (blank form) to work...

Comment

Hello,

Yes blank settings should attempt to send an email from the platform itself. However due to firewalls,network setup and other factors out of our control this does not work for some people. In which case you would need to fill in an SMTP server to use. I do not believe GMAIL provides an SMTP server you must use the gmail webmail program to my knowledge however I could be mistaken on this. What you need is a server IP address that holds an SMTP server this is usually provided to you from your ISP. Your ISP or Internet Service Provider is not your email provider(Google) it is who actually provides the internet to your house/location. I believe you mention this is ACC, in this case put in the SMTP info and do not provide a username and password and see if this works.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brett; 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Brett Wrote:

>>Yes blank settings should attempt to send an email from the platform itself. However due to >>firewalls,network setup and other factors out of our control this does not work for some people. In which >>case you would need to fill in an SMTP server to use.
          Ok, it does take a while to get the "Failed to Connect" message... could be a time out... I'll check it out
          What port will NT answer on?

>>I do not believe GMAIL provides an SMTP server you must use the gmail webmail program to my >>knowledge however I could be mistaken on this.
          Here is a link that describes how to set up gmail in Outlook...

Is this not describing how to set up and access their SMTP server?

>>What you need is a server IP address that holds an SMTP server this is usually provided to you from >>your ISP. Your ISP or Internet Service Provider is not your email provider(Google) it is who actually >>provides the internet to your house/location.
          Well, actually, in the case of ACC, they are BOTH my ISP and mail server.
          the SMTP server address is smtp.myacc.net... it is apparently not working because it does not require sender authentication... while NT does.
          In the case of gmail, gmail is ONLY the mail server, working through the ISP ACC...
          According to the instuctions in the above link, the SMTP server is smtp.gmail.com. The required sender authentication is set to my login user and password...
          When set up and tested this HANGS NT!

>>I believe you mention this is ACC, in this case put in the SMTP info and do not provide a username and >>password and see if this works.
          Nope! still Error 503, Authentication not turned on
          Any way to see the hand-shake transactions short of me sniffing my network?

Thanks again for your help, but I really need to get something working on this....

Comment

Hello,

Try with a yahoo account I have had success with this in the past. If you do not have a yahoo account please create one to test.

Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
            Port: 25
            User: username@yahoo.com
            password: “your yahoo password”

Comment

I tried yahoo and it doesnt work either. Can you give us the correct settings for gmail and yahoo please.

Comment

Hello,

I do not know the settings for gmail I only know the settings for yahoo and I just tested them and they work.

Please see the following screenshot for the settings that worked. You must have a valid yahoo account and substitute in your own yahoo username and password.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                Attached Files

Comment

I tried it with my yahoo accoutn and i get the Failed to send mail: The operation has timed out.

I am using NT7

Comment

Have you tried both with and without the SSL option checked? Please also try with your firewall rules lowered to a minimum to ensure this is not blocking needed traffic.

It may also help connecting to your modem straight for a test to eliminate the router stepping in...
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                    11 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post xiinteractive  
                    Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes