Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Crashes while debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashes while debugging

I am a C# developer by trade. I use Visual Studio on a regular basis and am quite well versed in Microsoft development.

I developed a strategy and I want to debug it. I am using version 7.0.1000.1. I attach it according the the instructions given and that works....sometimes. It seems to be a very delicate process and I haven't quite figured out the sequence necessary when I exit from a previous attachment, make changes to the strategy, recompile and attempt to reattach. It never works. I have to exit NT and Visual Studio and start from scratch each time.

What I also find is, if there is a big delay (seconds to minutes) in stepping from statement to statement, I get bizarre behavior. A step to the next statement continues to the next break point. Sometimes breakpoints that worked previously, are ignored and I have had multiple crashes of NT.

I was just wondering if I am doing something wrong, or what the cause of this instability is. Has any one else experienced this problem? Is there a solution.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; 12-17-2010, 06:33 PM.

Hello there, can you please provide a reproducible scenario for us to test this out so we can see what might be happening "under the hood"?

If you are working on a confidential strategy, please try stripping it down to the bare essentials and we can work from there.
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Gosh, there is no one scenario that causes all these problems. So, today, I load up Visual Studio, NT etc, hook everything up and set some break points. I am back testing and I hit my break point which is the statement that shows me the date. The date is 7/6/2010. I press the F10 button to step to the "IF" statement and instead of stepping to the next statement, it was if I pressed the F5 key and it stopped again but now the date is 7/7/2010. Well so much for testing that conditional statement.

I would be happy to do a Goto Meeting and maybe you could uncover either what I am doing wrong or discover the underlying problem.

Comment

ExactlyMyPoint,

Debugging with Visual Studio is not something we can support.
        With that being said, how about trying to place a breakpoint on the if-statement itself?
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          ExactlyMyPoint,

Debugging with Visual Studio is not something we can support.
          With that being said, how about trying to place a breakpoint on the if-statement itself?

Debugging NT in Visual Studio is in general NOT stable. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This is truly the first time I have attached to a process and had this much instability. What are you guys doing?????

So if i don't debug in Visual Studio, how else would I do it? Please, please, please, don't tell me using trace/write statements.

Comment

Unfortunately this is the reality of debugging with VS2008, especially with scenarios involving multi-threading.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
            117 responses
            1 like
            Last Post jculp
            by jculp

Started by Mongo, Today, 11:05 AM
            5 responses