Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Compiler won

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiler won

When I try to compile a particular strategy it returns an "Error on generating Strategy" and then lists several warnings across several strategies such as:

xxxxxx hides inherited member yyyyy. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended
    Identifier zzzzzzz differing in case is not CLS-compliant
    the variable 'e' is declared but never used

but it does not list any true errors that should prevent a compile. On several previous occassions I was able to find the bug that prevented the compile, but it was never noted as a warning or an error to give me a clue as to where it might be. Is there a type of error that the compiler will not identify yet not allow a compile? Any thoughts?

Regards
    Last edited by whitmark; 10-16-2007, 07:58 AM.
    whitmark
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

All errors reported by the compiler are errors and need to be fixed before successful compile. There is no room for interpretation.

Comment

Dierk,

I am not suprised by your answer nor would I expect any less of a response. While I might take issue with the notion that a variable declared but not used is a potential compiler error, I agree that the goal of "error" free code is certainly desireable.

Fwiw, as I was cleaning up these "errors" and reducing the number of items in the error log, I noticed a new message scroll up from the bottom that was very clear as to why the subject strategy was not compiling. Once that error was corrected, the strategy compiled fine.

So, there would appear to be some configurable setting that allows only X number of "errors" to be listed even though X + Y "errors" have been identified by the compiler. After forcing some additional "errors" to test this idea out, it did not appear that there was a fixed limit to the number of items that could be listed in the error log.

Of course, eliminating "errors" along the way will make this a moot issue, but for those of us with numeriuos indicators/strategies in varous stages of development, this is an interesting nuance that seems to explain "no compile no feedback" situations.

Regards,

Whitmark
      whitmark
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

NT does not interpret .NET compiler "errors". Any error (classified by .NET and *not* NT) reported by the .NET compiler will be reported to you and nothing more nor less.

Comment

Our upcoming NT 6.5 filters out compiler warnings that you would only see as you have actual compile errors.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DynamicTest  
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes