Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can I draw a short line one bar into the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I draw a short line one bar into the future?

if so, how do i go about doing that?

kaywai, you could draw into the future using into NT7 by supplying a future DateTime end point for your DrawLine call - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...7/drawline.htm
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

Not exactly sure what you mean by "by supplying a future DateTime end point ".

If for example I would like to draw a line from the current bar to the "next bar" which is to the right of the current bar, what would I put as the future DateTime?

Regards

Kay Wai

Comment

For example, if you're current 5 min bar is at 10:00, a future end point expressed in DateTime would be 10:05, 10:10...

Comment

what i'm actually looking for is for the DrawLine function to draw a line to the right of the current bar, irrespective of the timeframe used and prior to the new bar being drawn.

Comment

Kay, this is unfortunately not supported on a per bar basis, you can draw into the future if you anchor the end point of the line at a future DateTime.

Comment

Kay, this is unfortunately not supported on a per bar basis, you can draw into the future if you anchor the end point of the line at a future DateTime.
              Bertrand I think that Kaywai is right, NT need to allow it on a bar basis. DateTime is good for time bars (minute, day...) but not for tick charts. How NT can know where the 10:15 bar will be on a tick chart???
              I believe that by drawing into the future with DateTime ninja internally translates it to bars and from bars to pixels. So NT calculates that the end point is 4 bars away, each bar width is X pixels and space btw bars is Y pixels so draw it to Z.

Baruch

Comment

If you draw with a Ray instead of a Line, it will draw to the edge of the chart.
                RJay
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

Thanks for voicing your feedback Baruch - unfortunately it could not be tied to bars as when moving off time based charts there would be no way to 'know' where the future bar would be - thus in NT7 the draw signatures have a direct DateTime anchor based input you would then use to draw at an exact end point - of course arriving at that point on the chart a 'guesstimate' is involved until the DateTime is reached.

Comment

if I am using daily bar chart, and i wanted to draw a line,

1) can i draw it on tomorrow's bar? if so how would i code tomorrow's bar?
                    2) can i draw a line where the length of the line is the same as the width of a bar and position it in a "centred" aligment across the bar?

Comment

Yes, you can supply a future DateTime on daily series as well, for the endpoint for example Time[0].AddDays(1) to be tomorrow. The line would be then drawn from midpoint to midpoint.

Comment

Hi Bertrand, Here are my codes:-

Code:
                        [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]
                        [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]DrawLine([/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"myLine1"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]+CurrentBar, [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]true[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2], Time[[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]].AddDays([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]), projectedhigh, Time[[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]].AddDays([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]), projectedhigh, Color.DarkBlue, DashStyle.Solid, [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]);[/SIZE][/FONT]
                        [/SIZE][/FONT]
                        Code:
                        [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]
                        [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]DrawLine([/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"myLine2"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]+CurrentBar, [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]true[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2], Time[[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]].AddDays([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]), projectedlow, Time[[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]].AddDays([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]), projectedlow, Color.Purple, DashStyle.Solid, [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]);[/SIZE][/FONT]
                        [/SIZE][/FONT]
                        I've attached a image of the chart. As you can see, some lines are longer than other AND they are not drawn from midpoint to midpoint. Can you please assist?

Regards

Kay Wai
                        Attached Files

Comment

With AddDays(0) you're not using any future datetime here...you would also need a weekend logic in your script I believe to cover those cases as well.

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

if the start and end are both Time[0].AddDays(1), i can't even get a line to display! With the start and Time[0].AddDays(1), I can actually see a line! How do I get the line to draw from midpoint-to-midpoint?

And you're right about the weekend...it is the Friday lines that are shorter...

I imagine it would be along the lines of...
                            if (Time[0].DayOfWeek == DayofWeek.Friday)...

Comment

All resolved Bertrand! Thx!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses