Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to manually calculate the MAE and MFE values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to manually calculate the MAE and MFE values?

How can these values of an individual trade be accessed? I've experienced some success with the following code, though it is in de minority of the cases (5-10%) way off, compared with the StrategyAnalyzer output:

Code:
    foreach (Trade t in Performance.AllTrades)
    {
        if (t.Entry.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Long)
        {
            bestPriceReached = MAX(High, ((t.ExitExecution.BarIndex + 1) -  t.EntryExecution.BarIndex))[(Count - 1) - (t.ExitExecution.BarIndex -  1)];
            worstPriceReached = MIN(Low, ((t.ExitExecution.BarIndex + 1) -  t.EntryExecution.BarIndex))[(Count - 1) - (t.ExitExecution.BarIndex -  1)];
        }
        else if (t.Entry.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Short)
        {
            bestPriceReached = MIN(Low, ((t.ExitExecution.BarIndex + 1) -  t.EntryExecution.BarIndex))[(Count - 1) - (t.ExitExecution.BarIndex -  1)];
            worstPriceReached = MAX(High, ((t.ExitExecution.BarIndex + 1) -  t.EntryExecution.BarIndex))[(Count - 1) - (t.ExitExecution.BarIndex -  1)]; ;
        }
        maeTrade = Math.Abs(worstPriceReached - t.Entry.Price);
        mfeTrade = Math.Abs(bestPriceReached - t.Entry.Price);
        etdTrade = Math.Abs(mfeTrade - t.ProfitCurrency);
    }
    These values especially seem off when the trade has only a duration of a few bars. Trying to correct for such trades using various 'if' statements hasn't helped. Could someone give me an suggestion as how to calculate the MAE and MFE of an individual trade?

Regards,
    Last edited by J_o_s; 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Hello,

Thanks for your forum post.

Looks pretty good for the mot part. If it was me trying to figure this out I would need to take one trade and focus on the math and values of this one trade.

So if you would please, Add in Print() statements and Print out every variable such as the low found, the high found etc etc and calculated the MFE MAE manually/ see where the values are off.

We need to identify the variable that is off here to find out what needs to be fixed first and foremost.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      Hello,

Thanks for your forum post.

Looks pretty good for the mot part. If it was me trying to figure this out I would need to take one trade and focus on the math and values of this one trade.

So if you would please, Add in Print() statements and Print out every variable such as the low found, the high found etc etc and calculated the MFE MAE manually/ see where the values are off.

We need to identify the variable that is off here to find out what needs to be fixed first and foremost.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
      Thanks for your reply Bret.

After some trail and error with Print() I've uncovered the error. Because NinjaTrader exits on the open of the ExitBar, the high and low of the ExitBar shouldn't be included in the manual calculation of the MAE and MFE values. Well, obvious in hindsight, but I didn't correct for it. That was also why some values were off, and the rest of the values where just fine. Luckily, the great guys of BMT forum pointed me in the right direction, and with some "debugging" with Print() did I discover the error.

I've attached the commented code in case someone else could use it,

Regards,
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Excellent! Thanks for posting and sharing!

Comment

Thanks very much!!!!
          Only one remind:
          foreach()
          {}
          must be in protected override void OnTermination()

Comment

Hello all,

I have tested this script (calculateMAEandMFE.cs) and found it to be giving the incorrect values (at least when compared to Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.A vgMae).

What is missing is the point size multiplication when calculating the mae and mfe.

Also, this script does not take into consideration intrabar buys and sells. This means it is possible to include low and high values that were hit just before or just after the trade took place.

I have created and attached a sample strategy that addresses these issues.
            Attached Files
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post eDanny
            by eDanny

Started by proptrade13, Today, 11:06 AM