Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Same indicator in two columns in Market Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same indicator in two columns in Market Analyzer

EDIT: further checking shows it is not a matter of being the second indicator. There is some other problem. The indicator in my Market Analyzer is not showing the same value it does on the chart. I need to figure out why.

Thanks,
    EV
    Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 02-21-2011, 11:37 PM.

The problem was user error. More below about that.

I do have a couple of questions about the columns dialog, though:
    • What is the Data series section for? There is also "Input series" for the indicator itself, and based on the reported values the latter seems to win.

• In the Data series section, what is "Value"? The help text it prints down below just says "Data Series value" ???

• In the General section, there are two entries -- "# of bars to look back" and "Maximum bars to look back" What is the purpose of having both values? They seem redundant to me. The "# of bars to look back" was the source of my error -- I am new to MA, and on the charts the only one I have to worry about is "Maximum bars look back". So when I set my Period parameter to more than "# of bars to look back" I (silently) got bad values.
      • That is clearly a user error, however the design does nothing to discourage that error. Nor is there any warning that it happened -- all that happens is the data is bad with no warning there might be a problem. That would make it very easy for a user to end up basing decisions on bad data. While the software is technically correct -- the user did make an error -- thumbs down on usability.

• In the Indicator section, I have no idea how the parameters are ordered. It certainly does not match the order of the parameters in the Indicators dialog for a chart. That is also a usability issue -- at least for my indicator the wording of the parameter labels takes order into account. MA jumbling the order makes them confusing. For example, it make it look as if "Top value" is related to "Coloring" and "Bottom value" is related to "Signal length" when in fact both Top value and Bottom value are used to set the center band limits.

--EV

Comment

Another observation about MA -- ToString() seems to be used for the column headings. It needs to be re-read any time the indicator is reconfigured -- say any time the columns dialog is closed after having done an OK or Apply.

The problem is that some ToString() functions, including mine, reflect configuration info. The way it is now, the column headings say that my indicator is using the default period, no matter what I configure it to. That would be fixed if ToString() were called after the dialog went down.

FWIW: I notice that Data Box seems to get this right. If I reconfigure the period, the indicator label it uses (which comes from ToString()) is indeed updated properly.

--EV

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback here - the DataSeries defines on what kind of series the indicator is applied (your chart basically), the indicator itself will then also have an input series, also the same concept here as on the chart, the value would be your interval setting, i.e. 1 Min or 150 Tick, the value would be the number designating time or tick amount as per our example. Correct, there are 2 lookback settings, the indicator one will override the global set one. I believe the parameter ordering would simply be alphabetically here.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm getting the same problem with the Market Analyzer. I put in a CCI with a 9 period...went through and made sure everything was set that way and the column is not coming up with what my chart is telling me. I'd like to set an alert for a specific # but it's kind of impossible if it's not giving me the correct reading.

Comment

Welcome to our forums - please doublecheck and ensure you're settings: session template, CalculateOnBarClose, # of bars to load and time series / barstype chosen would need to fit.
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
            14 responses
            0 likes