Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicator offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator offset

Hi all,

I have a pretty simple question but after trying a few different codes I've had not luck.

I would like to offset an indicator by a certain amount of Tick sizes.

Example would be and SMA, EMA or ATRtrailstop displaced positively or negatively by the input ticksize.

Any help or Ideas would be greatly appreciative.

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post.

When you say the below:

Example would be and SMA, EMA or ATRtrailstop displaced positively or negatively by the input ticksize.
    What do you mean by input ticksize exactly. Not 100 percent following what your trying to do.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hi Brett,
      I have an indicator that plots a value or line over price on my chart. I would like to be able to offset this indictor by a certain number of ticks positively or negatively.
      attached is an example of what I'm trying to acomplish. The white line would be my new indicator.

Thanks for the help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

In this case if you would like to do this with an indicator would require NinjaScript programming to do this however it is absolutely possible. Are you a programmer?

Also, what is the name of the indicator your trying to move up?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Thanks Brett,
          I’m not a programmer but I have made some simple scripts in the past. I understand a bit of the script language but am pretty rusty.
          I was thinking that because the indicator already has a plot value “PriceVal” I could just enter a code under Newplot.Set(PriceVal +4*TickSize)
          If I understand right, I could use 4*TickSize which would equal 1 point on the ES.
          To me it should be this easy but still having a hard time coding it. If I can do this with an SMA, I should be able to do it with this indicator.
          This indicator is from a private party and I’m not allowed to share the code.
          Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Hello,

Exactly you would just have a basic indicator that does what you just quoted to be more exact it would be this instead however.

Newplot.Set(PriceVal()[0] + 4*TickSize);

Should do the trick.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

The custom indicator has a plot that look like this in the code.
              Add(new Plot(Color.FromKnownColor(KnownColor.Magenta), PlotStyle.Line, "PriceVal"));

However when I enter the code
              Plot0.Set(PriceVal()[0] + 4*TickSize);
              And compile it I get an error message that says. “The name ‘PriceVal’ does not exist in current context.
              Am I missing something?

Comment

Yes, PriceVal is here just the name of your plot - but you would still need to set a variable holding the value to plot : how would the indicator you wish to call be plotted?

See my dummy statement below to clarify how this would work, you would call the indicator method with the paramters needed and then add your 4 ticks to achieve the offset desired:

Plot0.Set(yourCustomIndicatorMethod(DataSeries, Parameter1, Parameter2 ....)[0] + 4*TickSize);
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by skikg View Post
                  The custom indicator has a plot that look like this in the code.
                  Add(new Plot(Color.FromKnownColor(KnownColor.Magenta), PlotStyle.Line, "PriceVal"));

However when I enter the code
                  Plot0.Set(PriceVal()[0] + 4*TickSize);
                  And compile it I get an error message that says. “The name ‘PriceVal’ does not exist in current context.
                  Am I missing something?
                  You need to call by reference to the indicator name, not just the plot, as the class cannot know where the plot came from.

Code:
                  Plot0.Set(IndicatorName(IndicatorParams).PriceVal[0] + 4*TickSize);
                  If the called indicator has only one plot, or if you want the default (the one designated by Values[0]), you can just use:

Code:
                  Plot0.Set(IndicatorName(IndicatorParams)[0] + 4*TickSize);

Comment

Thanks,

Can you explain the data series and IndicatorParams to me. I have add the indicator name and then the PriceVal but I still get the same error.

This indicator has three different plots, but I only want to call on the PriceVal plot.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you're having trouble with syntax, what may work best is using the strategy wizard to create your indicator + offset. You can select from multiple plots, work with offsets, and then hit view code to see what the code looks like.

Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks everyone. Got it figured out and it works greats.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post PaulMohn  
                        Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes