Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Force the order of the parameters in an indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force the order of the parameters in an indicator

Right now, the parameters are sorted alphabetically when you "Ctrl-I" on a chart. How do you change/override the order of the list in the NinjaScript code?

Correct the list will be organized alphabetically. If you wish to work around this you can try adding numbers in front of your parameter names?
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I asked for the option to not sort the parameters alphabetically nearly a year ago while NT 6.0 was in Beta. Apparently this simple and logical requirement is not high on the priority list. With strategies that have a lot on inputs this would make it much easier to quickly review the important or more likely changed parameters without scrolling up and down.

Maybe if more people express an interest...................

Comment

Ok, I'm interested too...

(but I doubt it's simple OnePutt .. My guess it's a .Net default that's hard to override)

Comment

Here's a hint from the "magic and mystery" box (neither tested nor officially supported, you would need to play with it): try adding
          [DisplayName("\tMyPropertyName")]

Idea:
          - \t should not be displayed
          - cascading \t would allow you to sort

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting. The "MyPropertyName" is the string that it would then sort alphabetically instead of the variable name? Do you have an example to post?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
            Here's a hint from the "magic and mystery" box (neither tested nor officially supported, you would need to play with it): try adding
            [DisplayName("\tMyPropertyName")]

Idea:
            - \t should not be displayed
            - cascading \t would allow you to sort

Comment

Sorry, I just tried to provide a hint to the programming savy people (who are familiar with the idea below and the DisplayName concept). If that does not sound familiar: please scratch my hint below since this is a non-supported concept.

Comment

Just as a test, I did a save-as on the MACD indicator and changed the parameters so they'd display in an arbitrary order, like so:

Code:
                [Description("Number of bars for fast EMA")]
                [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\tThird parameter")]
                [Category("Parameters")]
                public int Fast
                {
                    get { return fast; }
                    set { fast = Math.Max(1, value); }
                }

[Description("Number of bars for slow EMA")]
                [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\tSecond parameter")]
                [Category("Parameters")]
                public int Slow
                {
                    get { return slow; }
                    set { slow = Math.Max(1, value); }
                }

[Description("Number of bars for smoothing")]
                [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\tFirst parameter")]
                [Category("Parameters")]
                public int Smooth
                {
                    get { return smooth; }
                    set { smooth = Math.Max(1, value); }
                }
                And it works!

Comment

Here is another approach that overcomes this issue:

But yes, it would be nice if there was less visible way to do this with some type of sequence or order attribute that can be placed on each parameter.

Regards,

Whitmark
                  whitmark
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

Not sure how another attribute would be less visible...

Comment

Dierk . . . not sure I follow your comment. By less visible I mean not require the use of a prefix (e.g., p01_FirstParameter) just to control the sequence and require renaming should an intervening new parameter be introduced.

In the thread of the link I posted, I point out there are clear inconsistancies in the sequence of parameters displayed in the parameter dialog and the sequence they are displayed at the top of the chart if you just manipulate the [Gui.Design.DisplayName]. Ideally, we're looking for an approach that controls the sequencing of both displayed items.

Thanks for sharing the "magic and mystery box" idea that will address only the parameter dialog sequencing and can be a bit kludgy to work with . . . as is the alternative method I use.

[Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t Twelth parameter")]

Would appreciate it if you can clarify whether this is something that can be improved upon in a future release or is this some limitation in C#.Net that we will need to learn to live with? Thanks.

Regards,

Whitmark
                      whitmark

Comment

The approach I posted below is the one working best for us at NT. Please feel free to take any alternate approach you like.

Comment

Originally posted by whitmark View Post
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t Twelth parameter")]
                          Twelve tabs doesn't mean the 12th displaying parameter.

Since the binary value of a tab character ("\t") is less than that of text characters, the parameters with more tabs at the front would come first, not last; like so:

Code:
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tFirst parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tSecond parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThird parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tFourth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tFifth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\t\tSixth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\t\tSeventh parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\t\tEighth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\t\tNinth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\t\tTenth parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\t\tEleventh parameter")]
                          [Gui.Design.DisplayName("\tTwelth parameter")]

Comment

KBJ, thanks for the clarification, I see now its important to know in advance how many parameters one is working with. Frankly, I didn't even seriously consider it long enough to realize the way it works. So, is it worth considering writing a small method that can make this even more structured and maintainable that can be used in the following manner:

ParmCount = 12;
                            N = 0
                            [Gui.Design.DisplayName(ParmTab( N++, ParmCount) + " First parameter")]
                            [Gui.Design.DisplayName(ParmTab( N++, ParmCount) + " Second parameter")]
                            [Gui.Design.DisplayName(ParmTab(N++, ParmCount) + " Tenth parameter")]
                            [Gui.Design.DisplayName(ParmTab(N++, ParmCount) + " Eleventh parameter")]
                            [Gui.Design.DisplayName(ParmTab(N++, ParmCount) + " Twelth parameter")]

Unsure if this type of method call is allowed. Also, this still doesn't solve the sequencing of the parameters at the top of the chart. Thoughts?

Regards,

Whitmark
                            whitmark

Comment

Good idea, in theory, but I can't see how to make it work for C#.

If this were C or C++, you could use some compile-time, preprocessor programming to implement this, but C#'s so-called "preprocessor" is too lame to be able to handle it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DJ888, Today, 10:57 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DJ888
                              by DJ888

Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                              7 responses