Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Custom Bar Type Won't Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Bar Type Won't Load

I'm trying to work on a custom bar type, but cannot get Ninja to recognize it.... what am I doing wrong?

Save .cs file into Bin/Custom/Type
    Pull up an indicator, reload.
    Start new chart and try to select new bars type but its not there

also tried....

Save .cs file, compress to .zip
    Import in Ninja (which it says it does successfully)
    Start new chart and try to select new bars type but its not there

Thank you

Hello jmflukeiii,

Thank you for your note.

With custom bar types you will need to restart NinjaTrader for them to appear.

Restart NinjaTrader then check the Data Series window of your chart by Right clicking in your chart -> Data Series.

The custom bar type will be under the Type field.
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the response. Do I need to use a C++ editor or can I just write in Notepad and save as a .cs file into the directory?

Thank you

Comment

jmflukeiii,

Custom bar types would need to be created or edited in a C# editor.

Comment

jmflukeiii,

Your task would be easier if NinjaTrader exposed the API with documentation for users to create custom bar types. If you would like to see NinjaTrader add custom bar types as a supported feature in future NinjaTrader versions, please leave your vote in the below linked thread so NinjaTrader can judge how desirable custom bar types are to the community of users.

I have had some success by changing the code found in the NT supplied Heiken Ashi indicator. While I would prefer a true custom bar type, hacking that code to do what I want is serving as a substitute for me right now.

You might want to look at that if you have trouble getting your custom bar type to work reliably.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Right now I"m merely trying to take an existing custom bar and just change the name in an editor and then load that in Ninja. However, I can't even get this to happen....

So I'm opening up the existing custom file in the editor, then changing the name (in all the places it should need to be changed), saving it as a .cs with the new name in the Bin/Custom/Type folder then, restarting ninja, then trying to load it. Its not there though..... what am I doing wrong?

Comment

jmflukeiii,

After changing the names you will need to compile the bar types before your restarted NinjaTrader.

Please close NinjaTrader open your custom bar type and compile it to ensure there are no errors in the external compiler then restarting NinjaTrader.

Comment

I'm opening up other working bar types in my editor, trying to compile, and they have errors. Maybe I'm using the wrong program... thanks for the help anyway

Comment

jmflukeiii,

You would need a C# compiler such as Microsoft Visual C#.

Comment

Thank you, I have that now.

Problem is, even when I load bar types that I know work, and try to compile them, it still reports errors.

Comment

If you have ANY files that have errors in them, the compiler will show their errors even if you don't have them open, and even if the file you do have open doesn't have any errors....So that might be what you're seeing. The compiler will tell you which file the errors are for.

Comment

Alright, last question, and then I'll quit bugging everyone - I open up Visual Studio. I have two options, I can start a new project, open project, or open file. When I open a file, such as one of the other definitely working bar types from which I'm going to base my modifications, there is no option to compile or anything. When I open a project, and copy and paste code into it, I can compile it, but there's lots of errors in that specific code. I try making a new project and adding the bars type .cs file to the project and then compiling - same list of errors.

So am I am hopeless or what am I not understanding?

Thank you for the patience
                        Last edited by jmflukeiii; 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Have you done this with your Visual Studio?

If not, that's probably why you're getting the errors if the code you're editing has any Ninjascript in it.

Edit: I guess it also depends on what code you're pasting into it.

Also, in my previous post, I thought you were using the NT Ninjascript editor, not Visual Studio. Though what I said still applies to Visual Studio. Unless you have a specific reason for using Visual Studio, it might just be easier for you to use the editor within Ninjatrader.
                          Last edited by Radical; 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

bat type

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
                            jmflukeiii,

After changing the names you will need to compile the bar types before your restarted NinjaTrader.

Please close NinjaTrader open your custom bar type and compile it to ensure there are no errors in the external compiler then restarting NinjaTrader.

I am having same problem with a partner type not showing up, how do you open external compiler becasue everything elase compile fine

Comment

Hello stifland,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have multiple custom bar types in your NinjaTrader? If so they may have conflicting custom slots being used.
                              BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DJ888
                              by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                              0 responses