Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

debugging with Visual Studio 2010 LightSwith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debugging with Visual Studio 2010 LightSwith

Hi, I debug my strategies and indicators using Visual Studio 2010 Pro. My three month trial period is over and I want to buy a license.
    Is the Visual Studio 2010 LightSwitch version enough to debug NinjaTrader scripts?

gofortips, I believe that would work as well, as it offers debug mode / attach to process as well in contrast to Express.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi gofortips!

I set up a dubugging scenario with NT7 and Visual Studio Express 8.0. Everything working fine so far.I intend to debug strategies written in NT7 by using Visual Studio Express 8.0. The issue occured is that NinjaTrader does not give me the opportunity to set up my strategy I would like to debug while NT7 and Visual Studio Express is running. Could you please give me some core useful hints how to use Visual Studio in conjunction with NT7 for debugging?

Many thanks!

Robert

Comment

Robert,

Here is our help guide entry on this : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._debugging.htm
        Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Robert,

Found the information for the broken link. The old link was to the NT V6 Help Guide. To find the Visual Studio Debugging Help information for your version of NT:

1) In NT select Help then Help again then search for Visual Studio.

Below are the instructions that are found there:

Step 1: In the NinjaScript Editor enable "Debug Mode". Be sure to compile the NinjaScript assembly afterwards by pressing "F5" on your keyboard.

Step 3: Open the NinjaScript source file within Microsoft Visual Studio and set your break point(s).

Am working with Visual Studio 2010 Express and NT 7. Will post when I verify that NS debugging with VS 2010 Express works.

Visual Studio 2012 Express will be released soon according to Microsoft.

At this time you can get VS 2010 by downloading Visual C# 2010 Express here http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...tudio-overview .

Comment

Dear NinjaTrader_AdamP,

I use NT7 in conjunction with VS2010 in order to debug ninjascript strategies. I set up the debugging scenario as follows:

The issue is that it does not appear the "strategy"(debugging) at the header of the windows as described in point 3. Even the break point is set but it does not appear the yellow arrow inside the break point. What is the mistake? Any idea?

Many thanks.

Rob

Comment

Rob, please carefully go through the steps provided again - are you sure the NS assembly was compiled in debug mode? If yes, please close down all uses of your script in NT and open it in VS only, set your breakpoints and then press the 'continue' button in VS to start the process.
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello NinjaTrader_Bertrand,

I figured out that only standardized predefined ninjascript indicators work for debugging. Own developed strategies could not be debugged even if no errors occured after compiling the strategies. I have no idea why.

But many thanks indeed.

Rob

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                Started by bmartz, Today, 09:30 AM
                2 responses