• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What is the default time frame for NT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the default time frame for NT?

Probably a really dumb question, but what is the default time frame for NT? Ticks?

I want to have all calculations run with COBC = true on 1 min bars. I doubt this is the default, so do I need to specify this with something like

Code:
    Add(PeriodType.Minute, 1);
    in the Initialize() section?

Kevin, it would strictly depend on which chart / series you run the study / script from.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. This is not exactly what I had expected, so it raises a few questions (just to better understand how NT works). Hopefully you can help me better understand the relationship and/or requirement for charts in an automated strategy.

My plan is to use a custom set of stocks (say 200 in total) and have the automated strategy scan these using a 1 min bar as the operative timeframe.

1. Does this require each stock to have an open chart?

2. Does a chart actually need to be open or does simply defining the time frame as 1 min suffice?

3. If a chart being open is a requirement for NT, would having only 1 chart open from the presected set allow for monitoring and trade execution for the entire list?

In essence, I just want my strategy to run against a set of pre-selected stocks without drawing too many objects which could impact performance.

Comment

You're welcome, a chart does not have to be open - you can create a MultiSeries strategy that would just Add() internally the bars series needed for your calcs / signals. Or another way would be starting the strategies on your instrument list in the Strategies tab in NT's Control Center - however keep in mind strategies started from there would not be visualized at all - it would be just a high performing mode to run strategies for execution sakes alone.

Hope that helps, have a good Friday,

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          You're welcome, a chart does not have to be open - you can create a MultiSeries strategy that would just Add() internally the bars series needed for your calcs / signals.
          Was what I had posted initially the correct code for this? If not, can you show me how this would be achieved?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Comment

Yes, correct, this is how you would Add() a one minute bar. In your calculations in the OnBarUpdate() filter with BarsInProgress between the added series -

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...inprogress.htm

To get a complete view of our MultiSeries framework the following link from our helpguide is very helpful - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm

Comment

Blisteringly fast response time - an uncommon pleasure for most support forums. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, we appreciate it. A good upcoming weekend,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Newtrader101, Today, 08:01 AM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ShawnB  
                Started by rahul202, Today, 09:53 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes