Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Sell when price drops below a certain level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell when price drops below a certain level.

Hello everyone. I am new to Ninja Trader and have no programming background hence I am using the strategy wizard to build my strategy. I have been building my strategy within the wizard and am starting to get more comfortable with it. However I've run into a problem I can't seem to solve. I need some help to place instructions using the wizard to sell once price drops below the lowest low in the last 10 days. Is this possible to do simply using the strategy wizard? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums!

This would be possible, however it would require that you run the strategy on a Daily interval.

You can easily setup this condition by Comparing the Price Data--> Close to the "Misc"--> "Lowest Bar" function, with 10 as the Period.
    Attached Files
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. Setting up the condition is quite simple as you outlined, however, when I backtest this, it doesn't seem to capture my sell instructions. You mentioned running the strategy on a daily interval, where would I specify this? Just to make sure I'm inputting this correctly, I've put these instructions in the section where it says, "when the following conditions are true" in the wizard. I've then put "exit long" in the section where it says, "do the following" just to keep things simple. Did I input this correct and in the right spot/format?

Comment

Hello,

Yes, that should be in the correct place.

When you're back testing the strategy in the Strategy Analyzer, you will have an option for the "Data Series" to test on.

In order for the Lowest Bar period to look back 10 days, you would need to run the strategy on the Daily interval, rather than a tick or minute.

Comment

Yes, in the strategy analyser I have the data series set to "day". I also have the minimum bars required set far back enough to allow the strategy enough time. But once again, my sell instructions are not being captured. That is my only exit condition. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Comment

Hello,

Instead of using the DefaultSeries, please try using Price Data--> Low as the series of the Lowest bar

Comment

Thank you again, however, that still doesn't quite work for me. When I input the close as < the low of 10 bars ago, it only uses exactly 10 days ago as opposed to the lowest low in the last 10 days. Maybe I have this inputted wrong. Thanks for you patience on a simple issue.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion - we need to be using MIN to get the lowest price.

You will find this under Indicators--> Min

The parameters you would use would be Period of 10 and Barsago of 1.

Comment

OK, so I've tried using the MIN indicator as outlined, but it when I input the instructions like you've outlined, a sell signal is generated when the low goes below the lowest close of the last 10 days, not the low.

Comment

Did you run this on the "DefaultInput" or did you change that to "Low"?
                    Attached Files

Comment

This worked, thank you very much!

Comment

hi - can you tell me how i would do a similar instruction via the GUI. I want to "exit" (a long) if price trades below - the low on the bar prior to entery if that can not be done than 25pip less than low of the bar upon which i entered the trade

Comment

Hello hifreq,
                          You cannot do it via the Strategy Wizard. You can however do it by unlocking the code and further edit it via the NinjaScript editor.

As an alternative you can evaluate your code with the average entry price. The attached screenshot demonstrates how to exit a position if it is 25 below your average entry price.
                          Attached Files
                          JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post funk10101  
                          Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
                          11 responses