Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Auto Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Scale

How does one make the "auto scale" property on indicators changeable? I've looked at a couple of them where one can select "true" or "false" but see nothing in the code that allows this ... or disallows this.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Hello Weston,
    If the indicator is plotted on a new panel (overlay = false) then the AutoScale parameter cannot be configured from the indicators parameters dialog since it’s the only indicator plotted, and autoscale must be true.
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the answer. Why is this the case? Why MUST "autoscale" be true? I see no reason for this restriction.

Comment

Hello Weston,
        If the indicator is overlayed (say over the price pane) then you have 2 data series. The Price bars and the indicator plot(s) value. In such scenario the AutoScale can be configurable.

However if the indicator is plotted on a new Panel then the you have only 1 data sereis and the need for AutoScale does not arise.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Joydeep View Post
          However if the indicator is plotted on a new Panel then the you have only 1 data sereis and the need for AutoScale does not arise.
          Right! So, if the need for AutoScale does not arise with a single data series in its own panel, why can I not configre AutoScale to be FALSE? Look at RSI, for instance. Its AutoScale is automatically set to "TRUE". If there's no need for it, why is it set to "TRUE". It should be either set to "FALSE" or be configurable when in its own panel.

Comment

Hello Weston,
            To clarify further when I say "does not arise", I mean it will be always true, and thus, the option for it being false, does not arise.

Comment

I guess I'm not going to get an answer, am I? I just want to know WHY this is the case. It makes no sense to me. There is no reason I can see that autoscale should be defaulted to "TRUE".

Comment

Hello Weston,
                Our help guide states:
                This property returns true if the indicator plot(s) are included in the y-scale; otherwise, false. Default set to true.

If there is only ONE plot/data series then it will always be included in the Y scale. This is not the case if there is more than one plot/data series (say when overlay is true).

Comment

Auto Scale

Hi, I am a old person but very new to Ninja Trader so please help.

I have created a chart and put an indicator on Ninja Trader 7. I do not want Auto Scaling for that indicator but am not able to stop it because that options seems to be "greyed out" and locked to "True". I have tried to read relevant post but all are very old and does not give me an answer. Would appreciate your help. Thanking you in advance.

Comment

Hello joeralp,

Am I correct the indicator is plotted in a panel that is separate from the panel with the price bars? If so, this behavior is as expected. If you like to set Auto scale to False, the indicator needs to be added in the same panel as the price bars.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

How to Stop Auto Scale for Indicator

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                      Hello joeralp,

Am I correct the indicator is plotted in a panel that is separate from the panel with the price bars? If so, this behavior is as expected. If you like to set Auto scale to False, the indicator needs to be added in the same panel as the price bars.
                      Hi Jason,
                      (1) Firstly, let me thank you very much for the quick reply
                      (2) You are correct, the indicator is displayed on Panel 2 while the price chart is displayed on Panel 1
                      (3) I understand from your explanation and previous discussion in this thread that "this behaviour is expected" meaning that this is standard offering and cannot be changed from the Indicator Settings (which is obvious because it is "greyed" out).
                      (4) I do NOT want "auto scaling" for the indicators that I put below the price chart. What are my options?
                      (a) it is NOT allowed and/or it is NOT possible for technical/commercial reason(s)
                      (b) it can be done BUT I need to seek the services/help of a programmer
                      (c) some other explanation

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The Auto scale setting determines if the indicator is included in the price axis. If set to False, the indicator can plot values outside the visible display - outside the range of the price axis. Unfortunately you cannot set it to False when the indicator is plotted alone in a separate panel. Could you please clarify why you would like to set it to False. I do not see why you would want the indicator to plot outside its panel so you cannot see it anymore.

You could add another indicator in the same panel. Subsequently you can configure the Auto scale setting.

Comment

Dear Jason,
                          I want to fit three or more charts to one display to do some comparative studies on many indicators including my own. When I do that, I am forced to make the chart widths smaller and this makes the indicator scale to auto adjust itself thus distorting the visual display. I cant have that because it disturbs my study. I need the indicator lines to be static and not adjust when I add more charts & adjust the chart width. Hope it can be done. Thank you

Comment

Thank you for clarifying.

Can you please right click on the right side of the price axis in the indicator panel and select 'Properties'. Set Range to Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeralp View Post
                              Hi Jason,
                              (1) Firstly, let me thank you very much for the quick reply
                              (2) You are correct, the indicator is displayed on Panel 2 while the price chart is displayed on Panel 1
                              (3) I understand from your explanation and previous discussion in this thread that "this behaviour is expected" meaning that this is standard offering and cannot be changed from the Indicator Settings (which is obvious because it is "greyed" out).
                              (4) I do NOT want "auto scaling" for the indicators that I put below the price chart. What are my options?
                              (a) it is NOT allowed and/or it is NOT possible for technical/commercial reason(s)
                              (b) it can be done BUT I need to seek the services/help of a programmer
                              (c) some other explanation

Thanks in advance.
                              There are only 2 options: Autoscale and "Fixed scale". If you do not want Autoscale, force fixed scaling by dragging your mouse in the right axis. It is described in the second bullet on this page: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ng_a_chart.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Aviram Y