Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to see what a script does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to see what a script does

I come from a unix background with some modest shell and perl scripting knowledge. So although not a programmer, I am not without some technical skills.

When I download an indicator ninja script here or elsewhere, I see that it is a .cs format. This looks like some sort of compiled code, There is nothing in it that I can look at in an editor.

I would actually prefer to see the pre-compiled code. I want to be able to see what it does and what the logic is. I have security concerns about running code that I really don't know. Also I could learn something by seeing what it does. And I might want to make personal modifications.

So is there anyway for me to look at what these scripts do and how they work before I commit to importing them into ninja trader? If not; do people at ninjatrader actually examine and test uploaded scripts that are uploaded here

Thank you for any help or advice

Hello mcteague,
    Welcome to the forum and I am happy to assist you.

If you have visual studios installed then you can open the cs file with it. Please refer here to know more
    Visual Studio dev tools & services make app development easy for any developer, on any platform & language. Develop with our code editor or IDE anywhere for free.

You can also use Notepad++ to view the cs file
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the link. Probably a pretty simple question. I am just not that knowledgeable or comfortable in the windows world yet. And having been a wall street system administrator, I might me a bit more security conscious than most.
      This is a great application. But I doubt there will be a linux version any time soon.
      So I will just have to learn. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by mcteague View Post
        I come from a unix background with some modest shell and perl scripting knowledge. So although not a programmer, I am not without some technical skills.

When I download an indicator ninja script here or elsewhere, I see that it is a .cs format. This looks like some sort of compiled code, There is nothing in it that I can look at in an editor.

I would actually prefer to see the pre-compiled code. I want to be able to see what it does and what the logic is. I have security concerns about running code that I really don't know. Also I could learn something by seeing what it does. And I might want to make personal modifications.

So is there anyway for me to look at what these scripts do and how they work before I commit to importing them into ninja trader? If not; do people at ninjatrader actually examine and test uploaded scripts that are uploaded here

Thank you for any help or advice
        A .cs file is plain old text source code.

Comment

Hello mcteague,
          Thanks for your note.
          NinjaTrader is built on .Net Framework and currently runs on Windows OS only.

You can try running NinjaTrader on VirtualBox etc in Linux, however we do not officially support it.
          JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jaybedreamin  
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes