Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Day bars in a bar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day bars in a bar series

I am using the following in my script:

Add(PeriodType.Day, 1);

This will add a bar series of 1 bar per day. My question is are these day bars for a calendar day (midnight to midnight local time) or are they for a session day (session time start to session time end)? What I need is a "session day bar" series where each bar is 1 session, regardless of the calendar day. Can you help me with that?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Hello cassb,

Thanks for your note.

For a data series with a daily interval selected the instrument will be forced to use the session times of the data provider.
    For these cases, as a workaround, you can set the interval to minute and the value to 1440. This will allow you to use the instrument session and will still be a day long interval.

Below is a link to the help guide on Multi-Time-Frame & Instruments. In the section 'True Event Driven OnBarUpdate() Method' there is an explanation for how sessions are applied to data series, in the notes, under note 2.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      For a data series with a daily interval selected the instrument will be forced to use the session times of the data provider.
      For these cases, as a workaround, you can set the interval to minute and the value to 1440. This will allow you to use the instrument session and will still be a day long interval.
      Thank you, Chelsea. I'm not following you -- are you saying that my data series that I added does indeed cover the session times rather than a calendar "day"? That is what I want. For example, in my time zone, the Forex session begins and ends at 6pm EST. So I want my bars in that series to each contain 1 bar from the 6pm to 6pm time frame (not from 12am to 12am).

Is that what it's doing?

Or are you saying I should use this instead to get "day bars" that cover the session time range?

Add(PeriodType.Minute, 1440);

Thanks!
      Bryan
      Last edited by cassb; 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM.
      cassb
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Comment

Hello cassb,

-- are you saying that my data series that I added does indeed cover the session times rather than a calendar "day"?
        Or are you saying I should use this instead to get "day bars" that cover the session time range?

Add(PeriodType.Minute, 1440);
        I am suggesting you do the latter. Using "Add(PeriodType.Minute, 1440);" will give you a day bar series that uses the session template.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post PaulMohn  
        Started by Conceptzx, 10-11-2022, 06:38 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes