Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed of the market

Hello,

I wonder if someone ever coded an indicator to show the speed of the market, something like an speedometer or a speed meter to gauge how fast the market is moving. Sometimes the market is very slow and barely moving, like a car going at 20 miles p/h, and then suddenly accelerates to 80 miles p/h, is there an indicator out there that can sense those changes?? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...

Al

Originally posted by futuros View Post
    Hello,

I wonder if someone ever coded an indicator to show the speed of the market, something like an speedometer or a speed meter to gauge how fast the market is moving. Sometimes the market is very slow and barely moving, like a car going at 20 miles p/h, and then suddenly accelerates to 80 miles p/h, is there an indicator out there that can sense those changes?? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...

Al
    Not really an "indicator", but a range bar chart performs in such a manner.

For futures, 4 range is some what standard.

A bar is only generated when a new price is encountered outside the range, eliminating time in that instance.

Comment

Futuros, here is a speed indicator that I use in Ninja. You can download it free from here:

Comment

Thanks gain247, I'll take a look at your indicator and try to adapt it to my trading system...

Comment

TickSpeed and TimePerBar

I know this is an old thread but anyone else searching will hopefully find this. I couldn't find anything else out there that suited my purposes so I made this one. It is not fancy like my usual indicators but useful enough for anyone to build on. Pick between two methods, either TickSpeed which plots tick intensity or TimePerBar which plots the time in seconds each bar takes to plot. You can only use this on non-time based bars such as tick, range or volume bars. I added Bollinger bands to measure volatility of the plots. Enjoy
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sim22 View Post
            TickSpeed and TimePerBar

I know this is an old thread but anyone else searching will hopefully find this. I couldn't find anything else out there that suited my purposes so I made this one. It is not fancy like my usual indicators but useful enough for anyone to build on. Pick between two methods, either TickSpeed which plots tick intensity or TimePerBar which plots the time in seconds each bar takes to plot. You can only use this on non-time based bars such as tick, range or volume bars. I added Bollinger bands to measure volatility of the plots. Enjoy
            Did you ever convert this for NT8? Thanks
            Last edited by jack98765; 09-15-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by futuros View Post
              Hello,

Thanks for your help...

Al
              Did you ever find an indicator that works as you described?

Comment

Hello jack98765,

Thank you for your post.

Please see the attached skTimePerTickBarMod indicator that has been converted to be used with NinjaTrader 8.

Disclaimer: While our support does not make scripts at request, I've made an example as a learning tool for myself that I am happy to share.

Let us know if we may further assist.
                Attached Files
                Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by gain247 View Post
                  Futuros, here is a speed indicator that I use in Ninja. You can download it free from here:
                  http://www.tradewiththeflow.com/2010...ape-indicator/
                  Is there a way to arrange the indicator to show the situation in different markets? Also I was thinking maybe I could write a program to apply various market data into Ninjatrader as to track down the changes simultaneously and read the relations between different markets. Currently I'm recording the Greece property market to see the fluctuations in the prices and other different data like interest rates. Soon I will try to find a way to imply these statistics into Ninjatrader with an indicator. If you have any suggestions I'd glad to accept them.

Comment

Hello frankcruz,

Thank you for your post.

The indicator could be applied to a Market Analyzer window in order to show values for different markets. Please keep in mind the indicator cannot be used on a time-based data series and instead could use volume-based data series

Something you could do to feed various market data into NinjaTrader and its track changes would be to create your own application that uses a DLL interface and connects to NinjaTrader's external data feed. However, this would go beyond our means of support.

Please note that if you are connecting to the external data feed to pump data into NinjaTrader, you will be unable to connect to other Connections.

The DLL interface is provided as-is and support is limited to the resources available below.

DLL interface - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../functions.htm

I have also linked a forum post containing an unsupported example application - https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...442#post514442

Let us know if we may further assist.

Comment

What Tick range do I use for the skTimePerTickBarMod?

Comment

Hello Joemotho,

Thank you for your note.

Any Tick chart could be used for the skTimePerTickBarMod indicator. For example, you could apply the indicator to a 10-Tick chart or a 1000-Tick chart.

Let us know if we may assist further.

Comment

I'm wondering if there is a refrence in ninjascript that return tick counts in a giving timeframe "not just in tick chart " ??

Comment

Hello ossamaelouadih,

Thanks for your notes.

To accomplish this you could a 1-tick series to your script by calling the AddDataSeries() method, create a Time Filter to check if the current Time[0] is between a certain timeframe, and increment ticks in a variable.

For example, you could create a class-level variable called something like numOfTicks, create a Time Filter condition, and then increment the numOfTicks variable by 1 within that Time Filter condition.

See the help guide documentation below for more information.

AddDataSeries: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...dataseries.htm
                            Creating a Time Filter condition: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ateTimeFilters

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                            Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes