Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

indicator method overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

indicator method overhead

Let's say I want to reference an indicator method's value for other calculation, e.g.,

What're the pros and cons of of the following two possible solutions:

// put it Indicator variable and init in the Initialize()

value = Bollinger(14,2).Middle[0];

and reference the 'value' inside OnBarUpdate() as

Plot.Set(myFunction(value));

2. or just do it inside OnBarUpdate() as

Plot.Set(myFunction(Bollinger(14,2).Middle[0]));

I would assume the (1) choice is better in that, the Bollinger object will not be created on EVERY OnBarUpdate call, a very expensive option particularly if the CalculateOnBarClose is false!

Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Thanks.

Originally posted by balancenv View Post
    Let's say I want to reference an indicator method's value for other calculation, e.g.,

What're the pros and cons of of the following two possible solutions:

// put it Indicator variable and init in the Initialize()

value = Bollinger(14,2).Middle[0];

and reference the 'value' inside OnBarUpdate() as

Plot.Set(myFunction(value));

2. or just do it inside OnBarUpdate() as

Plot.Set(myFunction(Bollinger(14,2).Middle[0]));

I would assume the (1) choice is better in that, the Bollinger object will not be created on EVERY OnBarUpdate call, a very expensive option particularly if the CalculateOnBarClose is false!

Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Thanks.
    You are correct.

Comment

A few followup questions:

1. Will NT be smart enough to 'cache' duplicate indicator methods in the same 'chart window'? In my case,
      if I already have the Bollinger band (14,2) as one of the indicators added to the chart, and in my code I will need to reference it's value(s) again, how many instances are in the chart? I suspect the 'NT generated code' at the end of each indicator CS file is for this purpose?
      What if the same Bollinger is needed but with different parameters? Will they be different objects?

2. If the answer to the (1) question is yes then I don't need to ask this question. But if indicators are not cached, and if I want to references all three (upper, middle, and lower) values of the Bollinger band, how do I declare a variable to store the Bolinger indicator methods, instead of declaring three Dataseries for the three values?

Thanks again!

Comment

A few followup questions:

1. Will NT be smart enough to 'cache' duplicate indicator methods in the same 'chart window'? In my case,
        if I already have the Bollinger band (14,2) as one of the indicators added to the chart, and in my code I will need to reference it's value(s) again, how many instances are in the chart? I suspect the 'NT generated code' at the end of each indicator CS file is for this purpose?
        What if the same Bollinger is needed but with different parameters? Will they be different objects?

2. If the answer to the (1) question is yes then I don't need to ask this question. But if indicators are not cached, and if I want to references all three (upper, middle, and lower) values of the Bollinger band, how do I declare a variable to store the Bolinger indicator methods, instead of declaring three Dataseries for the three values?

Thanks again!
        For both questions, that is the point of creating a named instance of the class. Caching is irrelevant: you are referring to a named instance, so it is the one that will be accessed. You can access all of its properties directly without necessarily having to store anything in separate DataSeries, unless you intend to process those DataSeries themselves in an otherwise independent manner.

Comment

Please advise how to create an indicator method with a reference, and without the overhead of actually drawing on the chart?

Comment

Please advise how to create an indicator method with a reference, and without the overhead of actually drawing on the chart?
            Either of these of my posts demonstrate it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post alifarahani  
            Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse