Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Exiting on market with historical tick data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exiting on market with historical tick data

I have 3 years of ES tick data. I am backtesting a strategy that Enters with a massive stop loss and a small profit target.

I have a section of code that once in a position checks a condition from an indicator in a different time frame.

It says

if(blah blah)
    ExitLong("longtrade");

The problem is, this exits the position at the next traded tick. This is unrealistic. I need it to exit at the close of the last bar +1. So if (blah blah) is a 1 min bar, and it closes, giving the indicator the data it needs to check the condition, then I want to exit at that price plus one tick against me, in order to simulate always taking the market price.

I've read for hours on this forum and been able to answer all my questions, except for this one. So I just want to know how can I do this?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, in backtesting the script would have per default access to the OHLCV info of the primary series and conditions / trades are processed with CalculateOnBarClose = true. That means when you bar has closed > it would process the exit then on the next tick / open of next bar. You could submit to another / finer series though in backtesting to simulate intrabar fills here.

You can submit orders to different Bars objects. This allows you the flexibility of submitting orders to different timeframes. Like in live trading, taking entry conditions from a 5min chart means executing your order as soon as possible instead of waiting until the next 5min bar starts building. You can achieve this by
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
    Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
    1 response
    0 likes