Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can an Indicator Generate an Indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an Indicator Generate an Indicator?

Suppose I have the following situation. I am using the market profile (TPO Chart) from fin-alg.com. I draw individual horizontal lines on the chart at points where there are TPO/Volume clusters, usually one on the peak and one each on the "eyeballed" first standard deviations, for each significant cluster. I want to gather up all of these lines into an indicator that will appear in the indicator list and be available for plotting onto other bar charts, say a 233Tick chart. These lines constitute a list of fairly accurate Support and Resistance points (see Frank Butera at BalanceTrader.com for more info on this method). My proposal is this, to have an indicator that, when loaded onto a chart, will gather up the properties of these horizontal lines and create an indicator, newly named in this setup sequence. There can be as many as 20 or more of these lines on the chart and I frequently tweak their positions as each new market profile unfolds. So, using several instances of "Constant Lines" will be too combersome and, besides, these cannot be transported to other charts. Thus, each time I open and close the Indicator Setup window on the fin-alg.com TPO Chart, this uniquely named indicator is recompiled and resaved. All I have to do on the other bar charts is to reload NinjaScript and the newly tweaked set of horizontal lines is reloaded. Can this be done? Is there a better way?
    Last edited by gpq; 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM.

Anything can be done with NinjaScript since it is in C#, but unfortunately this is beyond the scope of what we can support. You need to access the individual objects you have drawn on the chart and create whatever logic you want with that.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply Josh. Not sure exactly what you mean by the word "support." Does this mean that you at NT would not write such an indicator, or that NinjaScript/Ninja Trader could not handle such an indicator, or this Forum is not the place to discuss such ideas, or...? Please be more specific. Thanks.

Comment

By "support" I mean we at NT can't offer assistance in producing the code that will achieve what you want. The forums is still a suitable place to discuss such concepts though since community members have been known to chip in and help each other out in creating these more advanced coding projects.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

applying ninjascript software to ninjatrader

IS there a step by step explanation of how one applies a download,ninjascript,to one's trading platform(nt) ?

Comment

well,

in principle you have the Net compiler services api. so you could initiate a compile from within your code easily. (Easily for advanced C# proficient traders).
            But Ninja puts in a lot of additional code in your .cs file for caching and for their internal structure.
            I would not venture trying to replicate this.
            Or you find - by debugging or reverse engineering- some undocumented function within NT that does exactly this.

I would think you run in a lot of problems here.

Why don't you use a parameters file (some xml stuff) or keep parameters in a global memory space?

Your TPO-Volume clusters indicator does then only parse (==read in) the parameters and displays them. Parameters would be a list of clusters or similar.

A second indicator will prepare the parameters file (or memory ) either from your GUI input (mouse clicks etc.) or will directly interface to your TPO software to get these...

Personally I would start with the second approach. Hire a consultant from the list, otherwise you won't see land!

Andreas

Comment

EW/ES/ninjascript

Actually Im just talking about what must be a pedestrian pursuit of adding programs written for ninjatrader,to ninjatrader.

I am imagining you are clicking 5-9 things and the feature shows up on your charts.

Specifically I am wishing to see what that market profile script puts on the chart to use in conjuction with EW on the ES contract.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post techgetgame  
              Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post sephichapdson