Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Toggle Indicator Bool Value From Another Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toggle Indicator Bool Value From Another Indicator

I am trying to use a toolbar button in another indicator to toggle a Boolean value in another indicator. Here is the code and I am not getting any errors but it is not toggling the indicator Bool (ShowShorts) from true to false and vice versa.

//new code test for indicator bool toggle
    private void btnConfirmations_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)//includes toggle function with logic below for confirmations
    {
    if (ShowConfirmations == true)
    {
    Myindicator(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). ShowShorts = true;
    ShowConfirmations = false;
    }
    else if (ShowConfirmations == false)
    {
    Myindicator(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). ShowShorts = false;
    ShowConfirmations = true;
    }}

Any ideas? Am I not accessing the bool value correctly?

There isn't a supported way to do this however I'll leave this open for others to assist with if someone has found a way. You may also try searching/asking here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=22435
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by jhowinvest View Post
      I am trying to use a toolbar button in another indicator to toggle a Boolean value in another indicator. Here is the code and I am not getting any errors but it is not toggling the indicator Bool (ShowShorts) from true to false and vice versa.

private void btnConfirmations_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)//includes toggle function with logic below for confirmations
      {
      {
      Myindicator(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). ShowShorts = true;
      }
      {
      Myindicator(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). ShowShorts = false;
      }}

Any ideas? Am I not accessing the bool value correctly?
      1. Any errors in your log?
      2. How did you expose the bool, ShowShorts, for outside access, in the called indicator?

Comment

It is just listed as a private bool in the called indicator. Is that what you mean by exposing the bool? I have no errors in the log.

private bool showShorts = true;

Comment

Originally posted by jhowinvest View Post
          It is just listed as a private bool in the called indicator. Is that what you mean by exposing the bool? I have no errors in the log.

private bool showShorts = true;
          " ... no errors in the log." is a bit of a surprise. Are you sure that you have enabled your log to show errors? Given the protection level of the showShorts bool, I would expect an error about the access level.

If you want to access a variable from outside its class, you need to properly expose the variable for such access. Here is a reference sample on how to do so. ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=4991

Comment

I looked through the sample bool series and the ninja boolseries class. Now that I have a bool series created and set it to true or false how do I then use that in another indicator to do something? When I try to use that bool in an if statement it doesn't allow me to use it. For example using the bear indication bool series from the sample...if I try to use it in an if statement to do something I get an error:

if (bearIndication == true)
            {
            Do something here
            }

The error is "operator == can't be applied to operand of type nintrader.data.boolseries and bool

I am evidently looking at this from the wrong perspective based on what I am trying to do. I want to have one indicator change a bool value from true to false OR false to true in another indicator and I am not seeing how the boolseries will let me do that. The logic in indicator A has a bool value that when true something happens and when false nothing happens. I want to be able to set the bool value in indicator A back and forth from true to false using and action in indicator B if that makes sense.

Comment

You will need to access the index location of the bearIndication to get a true false value. Otherwise you would just get the entire data series.

bearIndication[0] //for example

Comment

Okay I see. I changed it to:

bearIndication[0] == true

and no errors now. I will keep working on it. Thanks.

Comment

Now I am getting the following error in indicator B where I am trying to toggle the boolseries in indicator A...here is the code from indicator B

{
                  {
                  IndicatorA(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). bearIndication = true;
                  }
                  {
                  IndicatorA(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). bearIndication = false;
                  }}

The error is: NinjaTrader.Indicator.IndicatorA.bearindication is inaccessible due to its protection level. If I replace ".bearIndication" with "ShowShorts" I get no errors but the "ShowShorts" true/false value is still not being changed. "ShowShorts" is a private bool from IndicatorA that controls when something happens.

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be able to assist with button press related scripts but if you have a supported script that needed to access a value from a script it called I'd be happy to help as best I can. Otherwise I'll leave it open for the community to assist with.

That being said, I'm assuming this is the cause of your issue:
                    IndicatorA(BarsArray[0],Color.LimeGreen,Color.Red,true,true,5,false,233). bearIndication = false;

There isn't a supported way to set values for indicator A when calling it from indicator B
                    Also, if you did have accessibility this would be setting the whole series to true/false when you likely only want to set a specific index location to true/false.

Comment

Okay. It sounds like what I was trying to do isn't possible and I appreciate your help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                      Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
                      11 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post frankthearm