Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What do I need to learn programming NinjaScript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to learn programming NinjaScript?

Hi,

I will need a NinjaTrader platform to run and test my programs, right? Will I need to pay for the platform, or will a free version be enough for coders?

Also, can you suggest a good resource of NinjaScript educations for beginning coders?

Thank you very much.

Welcome to our forums tracoder - correct you would need a copy of the NinjaTrader platform installed first, this would be free to use for you completely in simulation mode - meaning only if you want to execute trades to a live account you would need a license from us.

You can start the download process directly from here - http://www.ninjatrader.com/download-registration.php

For getting started I would highly recommend those tutorials - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../tutorials.htm

Further there's a host of info contained in our reference samples and tips here on the forums -

In addition there are many scripts already shared freely here, which you could review and futher modify - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your kind help, Bertnard. The educational links you provide are superb, I find it very easy to learn NinjaScript there (also because I used to be very good at Pascal, Java, C, C++).

For the platform, in my case the free version is enough, because I will not trade live. I have just installed NinjaTrader, but it seems a little bit difficult to connect:
      - I opened a FXCM UK demo to connect, but Ninja said that the broker supported hedging, which was not allowed.
      - Then I opened a FXCM US demo (which does not allow hedging), but Ninja said that "Login failed: Failed to initialize FXCM API".

Could you give me a hint?

Thank you.

Comment

You're welcome tracoder, correct would need to be a demo without hedging. Can you please get in touch with us via the Help >> Mail to Support option? This will give us a chance to review the diagnostic trace and logs form the platform for your login issue and further advise on next steps to take. Thanks.

Comment

Hi, Bertnard

I want to let you know that I have successfully connected to FXCM. I just follow your plan: uninstall, then reinstall.

Your kind support may be the most wonderful in the world.

Thank you.

Comment

Glad to hear it was resolved and you could continue your work on our platform. Thanks for the kinds words as well, we appreciate it!

Comment

Hi, Bertnard

I am going to develop an indicator that requires the index of a hovered bar on a chart. Can you let me know some idea?

Thanks.

Comment

tracoder, there would be unfortunately no supported NinjaScript functions available for this task, however a similar request was discussed in the community here, tapping into the undocumented / C# areas 'under the hood' :

All the best.

Comment

Dear Bertrand,

One person in the topic you introduced seemed to already solve the problem. I will learn his programming.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Bertrand

How can I make the values of the left and right y-axes exactly equal one-by-one?

I want to plot a MAX(High, 10) plot that is overlaid with the primary chart. However, the left and right values (y-axes) are always different, so it's difficult to figure out the meaning of the MAX(High, 10) function.

Thanks.

P.S. Why do the plot of SMA, MAX, MIN... always start from the 21st bar on, no matter what the period is?
                    Last edited by tracoder; 09-17-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

tracoder, that would depend on the ScaleJustification set for the indicator - with prices on the right you want it to be 'right' for the study as well to exactly match - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...lightsub=Scale

Any indicator will not be plotted for the first 20 bars of the chart, it's called the unstable period (values catching up / initializing) - you can override this by spec'ing BarsRequired = 0 in your Initialize() method for the study.

Comment

Thank you. I just add

ScaleJustification = ScaleJustification.Right;
                        to the Initialize() and the issue has been solved.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Bertrand,

What is the definition of a "session" that is referred to in the NT7 guide?

Thank you.

Definition
                          Gets a value indicating if the bar is the first bar of a session.

Property Value
                          This property returns true if the bar is the first bar of a session; otherwise, false.

Syntax
                          Bars.FirstBarOfSession

Comment

tracoder, the session will define what hours are used on the charts / series to build your bars. You can use / change to any of the preexisting templates, or create your own in the Session Manager :

Comment

Thank you Bertrand.

For the previous problem of finding the index of hovered bars, I use ChartControl.ChartPanel.MouseMove and another event handler to display X & Y coordinates of my mouse cursor. Even though the coordinates are derived accurately, the coordinate display is always lagging behind my mouse motion by 1-3 seconds. I know this is out of your support scope, but with your great experiences can you let me know what I am doing wrong, or what I can do to improve the speed, or C# is always lagging like this?

Thanks in advance.

Here is my simple code:
                              protected override void Initialize() {
                              Overlay = true;
                              }

private void myMouseEvents(object sender, MouseEventArgs e) {
                              DrawTextFixed("info", "X = " + e.X + "\nY= " + e.Y, TextPosition.BottomRight, Color.Red, new Font("Courier", 20), Color.Black, Color.Yellow, 10);
                              }

protected override void OnBarUpdate() {
                              ChartControl.ChartPanel.MouseMove += new MouseEventHandler(myMouseEvents);
                              }
                              Last edited by tracoder; 09-19-2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Sparkyboy, Today, 10:57 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparkyboy  
                              Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                              21 responses
                              0 likes