• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

how to document the strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to document the strategy

i had a simple strategy that i coded up. now after using it and am optimizing it. i dont have a clear view of the whole strategy as its in code now.
    can you share any ideas on how i can reverse engineer the code or manually document the code so i can then make changes to the model as i am changing code?

It will likely be best to go to the developer of the script for more information on this. If they provided you with the open source file for the script you're welcome to post it here or send it into support at ninjatrader dot com. We could skim through it to give you an idea but we won't be able to provide all the details if it's overly complex.

source files located in (MY)Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Strategy

If you don't see it in there the developer likely compiled it in protected assembly. If that is the case only the developer could provide you with the details.

Let me know if I can further assist.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i wrote the script. now i find it hard to visualize all the logic that i put into it. i am looking for a template or systematic way of documenting it now.
      any ideas

Comment

Most coders will add comments throughout there code using // or /* */
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.71).aspx

You can also add a description for the script. To do this look at one of our system indicators for an example. (line 23 of the ADL indicator)

I also find that using regions in my scripts can make it easier to organize it.
        Example:

#region Order Handling
        //order handling code
        #endregion

Let me know if I can further assist.
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by junkone View Post
          i wrote the script. now i find it hard to visualize all the logic that i put into it. i am looking for a template or systematic way of documenting it now.
          any ideas
          If you did not document the code while you were writing it, there is no choice but to read the code logic, and determine what it does, then add the explanations as comments.

Is it not funny how code makes perfect sense when we write it, then when we come back to it later, we cannot understand why we wrote it that way?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by darkgreen, Today, 03:35 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post darkgreen  
          Started by GTBrooks, Today, 02:44 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post GTBrooks