Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How many open positions now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many open positions now

Hello. How to check "how many open positions now"?

Originally posted by alexstox View Post
    Hello. How to check "how many open positions now"?
    In any one instrument, you have only one position, long, short or flat. The Position object holds the relevant data.

If you have multiple instruments in the same strategy, you can query their individual positions with the Positions array.

ref:

Comment

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your post.

Koganam provides the correct information here. You can check the number of positions with Position.Quantity.

Comment

Position.Quantity is described as "Gets the current position size.".

Well, I need to know is entry order in market now or persist as order now. For example, I entered long via order and named it "enter 1". So, I need to check whether it in market as position OR whether it persist as order. I want to enter other long "enter 2". So, I think I should set condition "if strategy hold 1 enter" Or "if order still live or position still live". It's simple to check via "position.long" but this can contains more that 1 entry. So, how can I check whether the "enter 1" is live as order or live as position?
        Last edited by alexstox; 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexstox View Post
          Position.Quantity is described as "Gets the current position size.".

Well, I need to know is entry order in market now or persist as order now. For example, I entered long via order and named it "enter 1". So, I need to check whether it in market as position OR whether it persist as order. I want to enter other long "enter 2". So, I think I should set condition "if strategy hold 1 enter" Or "if order still live or position still live". It's simple to check via "position.long" but this can contains more that 1 entry. So, how can I check whether the "enter 1" is live as order or live as position?
          You use OnExecution() to tell you if the order executed, and you set a state variable from the answer.

Comment

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your response.

You can use IOrder objects to track the orders in OnOrderUpdate() and check the order state to see if it is filled or not. For information on IOrder objects please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nt7/iorder.htm

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Thank you. I did so before.
              There is only one private double that is used for enter - entryOrder. Let imagine, script entered and named this enter as "Long". Sometimes conditions for further enter comes true when "Long" still present as opened position. So, in that case I'd like to enter via entryOrder as "Long1". But before do this I need to check if "Long" still present. How to check entryOrder.Name for presenting as opened position?

Comment

Hello Alex,

As there would only be the preceding one long then Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Long will check if the current position is long.

For information on Position please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...7/position.htm

Comment

Well. Thanks. But it's not solution! I think it could be few decisions.
                  First, by using Position.Quantity. Especially when use DefaultQuantity in entry orders. For example, if by default I enter with 1 contract, then quantity of contracts = number of entries (positions).

Second,
                  Code:
                  private int PositionsQuantity = 0; //to calculate # of opened positions 
                  protected override void OnExecution(IExecution execution)
                          {
                  	if (entryOrder != null && entryOrder == execution.Order)
                  		{
                  		if (execution.Order.OrderState == OrderState.Filled || execution.Order.OrderState == OrderState.PartFilled || (execution.Order.OrderState == OrderState.Cancelled && execution.Order.Filled > 0)) 
                  				{
                  				PositionsQuantity = PositionsQuantity + 1;
                  //than in OnExecution() check for exit order filling. and if filled, 
                  if (trailOrder != null && trailOrder == execution.Order)
                  		{
                  		if (execution.Order.OrderState == OrderState.Filled || execution.Order.OrderState == OrderState.PartFilled)
                  			{
                  			PositionsQuantity = PositionsQuantity - 1;
                  			}

Comment

Please comment is this correct?

Add later: this is bad idea! Because first or other entries could exits different way.

Add later: the QUESTION is

1. how to identify the position?! For example, if I entered with entryOrder.Name == "Long", so I have 1 long position that I can't identify. After entryOrder = null,position still present. But I enter second time entryOrder.Name == "Long1". And as earlier after order was filled, it reset to null. There are 2 positions. How to identify each of them?
                    Last edited by alexstox; 11-07-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Alex,

There is no identifier for the individual position, the positions are added or subtracted when the order is filled. The overall count for the Position can be viewed as Position.Quantity, checking this value will let you know if it has increased or decreased.

Comment

So, how can I handle trail orders in that case?

Comment

Hello Alex,

You can use SetTrailStop() to trail the market: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ttrailstop.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                            Hello Alex,

You can use SetTrailStop() to trail the market: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ttrailstop.htm

NO! I can't. Because of many reasons. One of the most important reasons liveUntilCancel opportunity. That's why I use IOrders. What you can advise else?

Comment

Hello Alex,

Use an Exit() method and your own calculations and conditions to adjust the order. Use the same IOrder for each adjustment of the "trailing stop".

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post tkaboris  
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leafcutter