Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

CrossAbove BarsArray[1] and Close[1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CrossAbove BarsArray[1] and Close[1]

Hi,

Questions on CrossAbove() using the secondary time period.

[1] CrossAbove(BarsArray[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],14),5);

Does this test the following: Did any part of a secondary-period candle touch below but close above the secondary-period's EMA over the last 5 candles. That is if candle one closed above but had a low below and candle two had a close above then is that deemed to be a cross above when using the BarsArray as an input? I'm getting results I don't understand using BarsArray instead of Close. I presume with Close as the input if candle one closes below and candle two closes above then this is a cross above when using Close.

[2] CrossAbove(BarsArray[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],10)[0],5);

Is the '[0]' incorrect because this has CrossAbove taking a single element rather than array in its second variable?

[3] CrossAbove(Close[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],10),5);

If I want to only check that a cross above has occurred based on adjacent candle closes of the secondary period, is the above correct? Is Close[1] the close of the second candle of the primary period or an array of closes for the secondary period?

[4] Is it possible to use CrossAbove comparing arrayOne[n element] against ArrayTwo[n-1 element] over a given number of preceding candles.

Many thanks,
    darmbk.

Hi darmbk,

Originally posted by darmbk View Post
    Hi,

Questions on CrossAbove() using the secondary time period.

[1] CrossAbove(BarsArray[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],14),5);

Does this test the following: Did any part of a secondary-period candle touch below but close above the secondary-period's EMA over the last 5 candles. That is if candle one closed above but had a low below and candle two had a close above then is that deemed to be a cross above when using the BarsArray as an input? I'm getting results I don't understand using BarsArray instead of Close. I presume with Close as the input if candle one closes below and candle two closes above then this is a cross above when using Close.

For your example to cross above requires this:
    BarsArray[1][1] < EMA(BarsArray[1], 14)[1] &&
    BarsArray[1][0] >= EMA(BarsArray[1], 14)[0]

In English it means that on prior bar the BarsArray is below EMA and on current bar is greater or equal to the ema. Since you have a lookback of 5, cross above will evaluate true if this condition occurs on any of the last 5 bars. It may help to Print the current [0] and prior [1] values for each to output window to better see what's going on. This page can help with using print statements:

[2] CrossAbove(BarsArray[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],10)[0],5);

Is the '[0]' incorrect because this has CrossAbove taking a single element rather than array in its second variable?
    Nothing incorrect there. For CrossAbove/Below one value must be a series but the other can be a double. You can see supported overloads here:

[3] CrossAbove(Close[1],EMA(BarsArray[1],10),5);

If I want to only check that a cross above has occurred based on adjacent candle closes of the secondary period, is the above correct? Is Close[1] the close of the second candle of the primary period or an array of closes for the secondary period?
    Close[1] is the prior value and will depend on the BarsInProgress context. More information is available here on working with multiple time frames:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/multi_time_frame__instruments.htm

[4] Is it possible to use CrossAbove comparing arrayOne[n element] against ArrayTwo[n-1 element] over a given number of preceding candles.
    It's not possible to change CrossAbove hard coded behavior. If both inputs are series, then it compares [0] and [1] for both arrays to determine crossing. If one input is a double, then it checks that the series crossed above that double value.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan,

I understand [2] and [4] but need a little clarity on [1] and [3].

[1] The help on BarsArray does not give an example of what an element in BarsArray is. If a given bar has OHLC of (90, 100, 70, 80) what would BarsArray return as its value?

[3] Based on the help file, I need to use Closes[1], and not Close[1], to refer to the array of bar close values for the secondary time frame. Correct?

Cheers,
      darmbk.

Comment

Good question. BarsArray will be the Close value, or 80 in your OHLC example.

Correct - Closes[1] refers to array of close values for secondary time frame.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,

One final question on your last answer. Is Closes[2] = BarsArray[2] = array of closing values for the third time frame specified by the user; and Closes[1][3] = BarsArray[1][3] = the third closing value in the second time frame array.

Many thanks,
          darmbk.

Comment

You understand correctly.

Closes[2]/BarsArray[2] would be the array of closing values for the 3 time frame.

Closes[1][3] woudl be the 3rd closing value for the second time frame.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
            24 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post spwizard  
            Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes