• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Professional developer looking for 1st base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional developer looking for 1st base

Hi,
    I have been writing software for 25 years. I am thoroughly familiar with C#. I don't like code generators. If I want to start writing an indicator from scratch using visual studio, where do I start? I haven't found an api doc anywhere. Are there some sample projects laying around that I can use to bootstrap myself? Basically, where's the development roadmap for the not so dumb.

Thanks ... Ed

Originally posted by edstaffin View Post
    Hi,
    I have been writing software for 25 years. I am thoroughly familiar with C#. I don't like code generators. If I want to start writing an indicator from scratch using visual studio, where do I start? I haven't found an api doc anywhere. Are there some sample projects laying around that I can use to bootstrap myself? Basically, where's the development roadmap for the not so dumb.

Thanks ... Ed
    Either use an existing indicator as a template and model, or use the generator to generate an empty indicator skeleton and fill out the code.

Comment

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Kogonam is correct here. You can start a blank indicator by going to Tools -> New NinjaScript -> Indicator...
      Give the indicator a name and click next all the way through. This will create a blank Indicator that you can start with

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
      Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think he wants to write code inside Visual Studio and not in the strategy editor of NT. I would love that myself, but what I do instead is to do anything that doesn't rely on NT built-in functions in an external DLL. The external DLL code is all outside of the NT editor, and I make a reference to it.

However, I recently moved computers to a Windows 8.1 computer, and my external DLL is not loading on that platform. I still have .NET 3.5 and my DLL is built to target .NET 3.5, but it is not loading! Anyway, I'll make a separate post on this, but the point is that it is not easy to work with C# outside of the NT editor.

Comment

Originally posted by tradetree View Post
          I think he wants to write code inside Visual Studio and not in the strategy editor of NT. I would love that myself, but what I do instead is to do anything that doesn't rely on NT built-in functions in an external DLL. The external DLL code is all outside of the NT editor, and I make a reference to it.

However, I recently moved computers to a Windows 8.1 computer, and my external DLL is not loading on that platform. I still have .NET 3.5 and my DLL is built to target .NET 3.5, but it is not loading! Anyway, I'll make a separate post on this, but the point is that it is not easy to work with C# outside of the NT editor.
          Just a quick note that I did get the external DLL to work on Windows 8.1. I always forget that once you copy the DLL to the Custom folder you have to restart NT! Anyway, back to the original topic, I have ended up replacing most of NT functions in my DLL so I don't have to work in the NT editor. I just use NT for buy/sell calls and getting access to the data bars.

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for the reply. Where are the docs that describe the classes, interfaces, events etc? Where can I read about how to call out to my own dll? If I can't develop solely in Vstudio, how do I set a reference to a dll of my own? How do I learn about what assemblies NT exposes for use by developers? Where can I read about how to deploy a custom indicator. Basically, where are the docs?!?
            Thanks .... Ed
            Last edited by edstaffin; 06-08-2014, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for the reply. Where are the docs that describe the classes, interfaces, events etc? Where can I read about how to call out to my own dll? If I can't develop solely in Vstudio, how do I set a reference to a dll of my own? How do I learn about what assemblies NT exposes for use by developers? Where can I read about how to deploy a custom indicator. Basically, where are the docs?!?
              Thanks .... Ed
              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nt7/index.html

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks .... Ed
                Behind the now standard Windows Help Key: F1, from anywhere within NinjaTrader ?

Comment

Hi,
                  Thanks .... Ed
                  To add or manage references: in your NinjaScript editor, please Right Click > References...
                  (the last item of the right-click context menu).

Pi
                  ninZa
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninza

Comment

Anything to do with DLL access is considered "unsupported" by NT. I can't tell, but I think that is why you are looking for docs that don't exist. People are responding to tell where the docs are, but as I said, if your looking for anything on external code and DLLs you won't find it.

I am surprised NT support hasn't chimed in here to explain this. So given my assumption, the docs you are looking for are Microsoft C# docs on "reflection".

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by BabyWhaler, Today, 05:06 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post BabyWhaler  
                    Started by bouncetherubble, Today, 05:56 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post bouncetherubble