Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Professional developer looking for 1st base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tradetree
    replied
    Anything to do with DLL access is considered "unsupported" by NT. I can't tell, but I think that is why you are looking for docs that don't exist. People are responding to tell where the docs are, but as I said, if your looking for anything on external code and DLLs you won't find it.

I am surprised NT support hasn't chimed in here to explain this. So given my assumption, the docs you are looking for are Microsoft C# docs on "reflection".

Leave a comment:

• ninZa
    replied
    Originally posted by edstaffin View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Where are the docs that describe the classes, interfaces, events etc? Where can I read about how to call out to my own dll? If I can't develop solely in Vstudio, how do I set a reference to a dll of my own? How do I learn about what assemblies NT exposes for use by developers? Where can I read about how to deploy a custom indicator. Basically, where are the docs?!?
    Thanks .... Ed
    To add or manage references: in your NinjaScript editor, please Right Click > References...
    (the last item of the right-click context menu).

Pi

Leave a comment:

• koganam
    replied
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Where are the docs that describe the classes, interfaces, events etc? Where can I read about how to call out to my own dll? If I can't develop solely in Vstudio, how do I set a reference to a dll of my own? How do I learn about what assemblies NT exposes for use by developers? Where can I read about how to deploy a custom indicator. Basically, where are the docs?!?
    Thanks .... Ed
    Behind the now standard Windows Help Key: F1, from anywhere within NinjaTrader ?

Leave a comment:

• Tasker-182
    replied
    Hi,
    Thanks .... Ed

Leave a comment:

• edstaffin
    replied
    Hi,
    Thanks .... Ed
    Last edited by edstaffin; 06-08-2014, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tradetree
    replied
    Originally posted by tradetree View Post
    I think he wants to write code inside Visual Studio and not in the strategy editor of NT. I would love that myself, but what I do instead is to do anything that doesn't rely on NT built-in functions in an external DLL. The external DLL code is all outside of the NT editor, and I make a reference to it.

However, I recently moved computers to a Windows 8.1 computer, and my external DLL is not loading on that platform. I still have .NET 3.5 and my DLL is built to target .NET 3.5, but it is not loading! Anyway, I'll make a separate post on this, but the point is that it is not easy to work with C# outside of the NT editor.
    Just a quick note that I did get the external DLL to work on Windows 8.1. I always forget that once you copy the DLL to the Custom folder you have to restart NT! Anyway, back to the original topic, I have ended up replacing most of NT functions in my DLL so I don't have to work in the NT editor. I just use NT for buy/sell calls and getting access to the data bars.

Leave a comment:

• tradetree
    replied
    I think he wants to write code inside Visual Studio and not in the strategy editor of NT. I would love that myself, but what I do instead is to do anything that doesn't rely on NT built-in functions in an external DLL. The external DLL code is all outside of the NT editor, and I make a reference to it.

However, I recently moved computers to a Windows 8.1 computer, and my external DLL is not loading on that platform. I still have .NET 3.5 and my DLL is built to target .NET 3.5, but it is not loading! Anyway, I'll make a separate post on this, but the point is that it is not easy to work with C# outside of the NT editor.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_CalH
    replied
    Hello Ed,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Kogonam is correct here. You can start a blank indicator by going to Tools -> New NinjaScript -> Indicator...
    Give the indicator a name and click next all the way through. This will create a blank Indicator that you can start with

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Leave a comment:

• koganam
    replied
    Hi,
    I have been writing software for 25 years. I am thoroughly familiar with C#. I don't like code generators. If I want to start writing an indicator from scratch using visual studio, where do I start? I haven't found an api doc anywhere. Are there some sample projects laying around that I can use to bootstrap myself? Basically, where's the development roadmap for the not so dumb.

Thanks ... Ed
    Either use an existing indicator as a template and model, or use the generator to generate an empty indicator skeleton and fill out the code.

Leave a comment:

• edstaffin
    started a topic Professional developer looking for 1st base

Professional developer looking for 1st base

Hi,
    I have been writing software for 25 years. I am thoroughly familiar with C#. I don't like code generators. If I want to start writing an indicator from scratch using visual studio, where do I start? I haven't found an api doc anywhere. Are there some sample projects laying around that I can use to bootstrap myself? Basically, where's the development roadmap for the not so dumb.

Thanks ... Ed

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post Christopher_R  
Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
166 responses
0 likes
Last Post sidlercom80