Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Crashing while programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashing while programming

Hi,

I have only recently started using the "Edit Ninjascript" function. When I use it for any length of time, Ninja crashes because it says it runs out of memory.

Why is this?

It seems that Ninja can only use a total of 1200mb Memory, is this correct? That is when Ninja crashes, when it gets to around 1200M of memory, at that point the system is using 1400M of 4193M total. I only ever have Ninja open, alone.

Hi ScottieDog, the memory limit you hit would be expected for a 32 bit .NET process here. Can you try running NT in 64 bit mode, which would allow you to use more available memory?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I´ll be honest, I thought it was running in 64 bit mode. lol.

Doesn't it run in 64 bit mode automatically if possible? I was under the impression there was only one installation for both, and Windows chose which it could use?

Comment

On a 64 bit supporting OS you would see two NT7 icons created, one for 32 bit and the other one for 64 bit mode. The 64 bit one would say so in it's name explicitly, so if you were using the 'regular' icon > you would have used 32 bit only.

Comment

I´m really not familiar with Windows, I´m a Mac. I thought my WIN was 64, but have checked and it is XP running 32bit, I´m almost embarrassed to say I only have WIN XP 32 bit….. lol In truth, it has always worked, and I only run Ninja on Windows, literally nothing else, when it works leave it alone IMO so I have never upgraded the OS.

Will I see any worthwhile improvements upgrading the OS? Obviously the RAM improvement will be seen for programming in Ninja, will any other enhancements be seen?

Comment

Having access to more RAM would be the main advantage - if you have more than a few charts in your workspace and work for example on extensive tickdata you will like find the upgrade very beneficial. Also in preparation for the future.

Comment

How much RAM would a new 64 bit OS have access to?

Is there a "best OS" that fits NT best? I only need to run Ninja, so it can be a totally bare bone OS.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              Having access to more RAM would be the main advantage - if you have more than a few charts in your workspace and work for example on extensive tickdata you will like find the upgrade very beneficial. Also in preparation for the future.
              Last edited by ScottieDog; 07-08-2014, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottieDog View Post
                How much RAM would a new 64 bit OS have access to?

Is there a "best OS" that fits NT best? I only need to run Ninja, so it can be a totally bar bone OS.
                There is no such thing as a "fast enough computer". More is always better.

Comment

I´m asking about the most stable OS to use. Not what computer is fastest.

I understand win8 has loads of problems, those I do not need. Just want to upgrade my WinXP 32bit to the most stable 64bit OS.

Comment

ScottieDog, for your desktop system that would be either Win7 or Win8 as 64bit then, with an eye on the future and performance benchmarks seen I would go with 8 actually. But understand some still find offense at the changed appearance and so there will be pros and cons you have to weigh.

Comment

I don't care about appearance. I only have to click the Ninja launch icon. lol.

Thanks all. Think ill try the 8 then. I was under the impression it was very unstable and that MS were having problems with it, but that´s probably just people *****in as usual.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post mattbsea  
                      Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                      6 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post RideMe