Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

Hello, i am a active NT trader trading the Emini. I have a few years experience of 'C' programming in my background.

I need a challenge, for when i am not trading, so decided to see if I can program a automated strategy.

I understand that NT uses C#. Can anyone point me to a good resource to learn from?

Any NT programming beginner resources would be a great help. I am looking for an overview of what steps I need to take.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Originally posted by count12 View Post
    Hello, i am a active NT trader trading the Emini. I have a few years experience of 'C' programming in my background.

I need a challenge, for when i am not trading, so decided to see if I can program a automated strategy.

I understand that NT uses C#. Can anyone point me to a good resource to learn from?

Any NT programming beginner resources would be a great help. I am looking for an overview of what steps I need to take.

Thanks in advance

Paul
    Hit F1 in any open NinjaTrader window. There is a whole tutorial section on writing NinjaScript: a tutorial that teaches code in increasing depth of difficulty.

Here is the direct link to that section: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

Comment

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your post.

Koganam has posted some great resources materials for getting started.

I want to also let you know that you are more than welcome to write into NinjaTrader support for any questions you may have on NinjaScript as well as posting our forum.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
      Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by count12 View Post

I need a challenge, for when I am not trading, so decided to see if I can program a automated strategy.

Thanks in advance

Paul
        Hi Paul

Koganam and Cal have given you great advice.

Can I make a suggestion as someone who was completely new to Ninja and C# 2˝ years ago but has learnt a great deal since then, esp. through the Forum. I didn’t take me too long before I was coding my own indicators and strategies.

The best thing I ever did in Ninja is to look at existing indicators and strategies, starting obviously with the simple ones and just trying to work out how they do what they do. For example, a very simple one to start with is ‘Donchian Channel’. (The coding of even the apparently simple ones, like SMA, can appear to be quite advanced given the way they’re implemented in Ninja.)

Don’t be daunted by all the parentheses/brackets!

As soon as possible, if not before, try and start coding your own indicators. Anything. It doesn’t matter if they will make you money (for the moment!) but try your best to translate your idea into code that will work. It’s a great feeling to see your first indicator translated into a line on a screen!

Also, spend time just looking at Forum threads that seem interesting in any way.

Hope it all works out.

Comment

Hi, just a quick thank you for your replies. Great advice, and what I was looking for. I have ordered a book on C# from amazon, as that's how I learn best, and look forward to the challenge.

Thanks again.

Paul

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Irukandji, Today, 09:34 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Irukandji  
          Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
          3 responses