Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

System performance on tick backtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System performance on tick backtest

Hello,

I have attached a strategy to a 5min chart. The strategy adds an indicator which calculates support and resistance levels. So far everything is running off of the 5min data.

The strategy will trigger a long when price reaches support determined by the indicator.

I wanted more granularity in the strategy, so I added another tick data series to check when price reaches support intra-bar and trigger a long. The indicator is still based off of the 5min data, therefore only the strategy is running off of the tick. I verified that only the strategy is running off of the tick data, the indicator OBU gets called every 5min

The problem is that the system became extremely slow after I added tick data. Now I understand that there's a lot more processing involved, but it's taking around 15min to run the strategy on a 1 day chart. Everything is normal on the 5min.

What should I be expecting in terms of performance when I use tick data? Obviously 15min for 1 day of data renders using tick backtests impossible.

Thanks

Hello silacitrader,

The speed at which a strategy starts depends on your computers resources. 15 minutes is quite excessive for 1 day of historical tick data to process.

As a comparison, I have made a video of me testing the SampleMACrossOver strategy that has been modified to add tick granularity.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Please let me know if you have any questions with this video.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea, thank you for the video.
      There's no audio, but at one point you show the historical data and that only contains minute data. So I assume you are loading the tick data from Kinetick?

I'm using an i7 8 core with 12GB RAM. Something is not right. I'll profile the code to try to locate the issue.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi silacitrader,

I didn't realize I had the mic muted when I made the video.

I opened the Historical Data Manager to show that no tick data had been downloaded ahead of time.

I have deleted the data and made a new video with sound ;-)

http://screencast.com/t/XaolxUlm
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Chelsea.

I spoke too soon. The problem was in my code. I am reading an external config file in the barupdate and I left it on the tick series by mistake.

It's taking 10 seconds now. At least this is something I can work with.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jaybedreamin  
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes