Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can I manually enter data for an indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I manually enter data for an indicator?

Hello & good day all.

I'm looking to manually enter several fundamental/economic report numbers for a composite indicator to plot on NT chart. I definitely wouldn't use it on less than daily charts, most likely monthly or quarterly.

Using this article from investopedia as an example:

It lists P/E Ratio, P/B ratio, Debt/Equity Ratio, Free Cash Flow & Price/Earnings to Growth Ratio as 5 metrics
    useful for value investors. Instead of tracking all 5 of these metrics individually and without the benefit
    of seeing them on my NT chart, I'd like to combine them into one indicator.
    Seems to me it's a great way to combine fundamental & technical analysis.

I'm looking for the simplest of indicators here. I don't expect NT to be able to go get the metrics I'm interested in.
    Just need inputs to manually enter the values for each metric, find and plot the sum as a point in its' own panel. This will be tedious for any substantial number of stocks but if I'm only spending a couple hours a month or quarter I'm confidant it'll be worth it.

I'm not asking anyone to code this for me, my question here is, does NT have this capability?
    Could an indicator be written to allow me to enter monthly or quarterly data points (28, 6.5, 11, 53, 17 etc....)
    and then simply plot a line connecting those points?

I've asked 3rd party consultants and responses were all over the map. Certainly someone here knows if this is possible.
    If anyone can recommend a consultant that has some experience with this, I'd appreciate that too.

Thank you, jm

Yes you can enter #s. What would be slicker is if you parsed the web page and won't have to input (assuming it isn't changing format constantly.

I guess the next issue would be-how are you plotting these on a chart exactly? Independent of a data source? That might prove more difficult.

There's the pivot indicator that draws some lines. I guess you could adjust some values to get on the chatty properly and overlay. Else plotting a value of 0 to 28 on a Google chart won't scale well.

Maybe if you mocked up an example in ms paint of what you
    Would really like, would leave things less open to interpretation.

Comment

Hello johnnymustard,

Thanks for your post.

Member sledge has offered some thoughts.

Taking a different view, have you looked at the fundamental information already available through the Ninjatrader Market Analyzer? Just a thought but perhaps with your indicator you could supply the information that may be missing from what is available in the market analyzer and display columns of all the data of interest to you and then add one more column with the "composite" value you would create in the indicator.
      Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymustard View Post
        Hello & good day all.

I'm looking to manually enter several fundamental/economic report numbers for a composite indicator to plot on NT chart. I definitely wouldn't use it on less than daily charts, most likely monthly or quarterly.

Using this article from investopedia as an example:

It lists P/E Ratio, P/B ratio, Debt/Equity Ratio, Free Cash Flow & Price/Earnings to Growth Ratio as 5 metrics
        useful for value investors. Instead of tracking all 5 of these metrics individually and without the benefit
        of seeing them on my NT chart, I'd like to combine them into one indicator.
        Seems to me it's a great way to combine fundamental & technical analysis.

I'm looking for the simplest of indicators here. I don't expect NT to be able to go get the metrics I'm interested in.
        Just need inputs to manually enter the values for each metric, find and plot the sum as a point in its' own panel. This will be tedious for any substantial number of stocks but if I'm only spending a couple hours a month or quarter I'm confidant it'll be worth it.

I'm not asking anyone to code this for me, my question here is, does NT have this capability?
        Could an indicator be written to allow me to enter monthly or quarterly data points (28, 6.5, 11, 53, 17 etc....)
        and then simply plot a line connecting those points?

I've asked 3rd party consultants and responses were all over the map. Certainly someone here knows if this is possible.
        If anyone can recommend a consultant that has some experience with this, I'd appreciate that too.

Thank you, jm
        Yes, you can. Make the inputs generic Lists, and have the code use the values to Plot.

Comment

mockup

Sledge here is a basic mockup of what I had in mind with quarterly updates.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post chbruno
          by chbruno

Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
          6 responses