Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to tag highs/lows for later comparision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tag highs/lows for later comparision

Hello,
    By using Print() I'm able to see the CurrentBar # and High/Low price for a certain period.
    For example:
    Code:
    Print(Time[0] + " Lowest Low = " +  lowest_low);//gets most recent low
    Print(Time[0] + " Lowest Low Bar # is " + lowLine);//gets bar # at most recent low
    Print(Time[0] + " CurrentBar # is " + CurrentBar);//current bar when condition is met
    I would now like to compare those numbers and prices. For instance bar 558 had a high of 49.12 and bar 591 had a high of 50.33, and bar 850 had a high of 50.55. Just using a lookback period isn't working. A loop might work, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can someone give me some help with this please?

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thanks for your post.

Not entirely certain what your goal is but you can use the MAX and MIN methods to find the high and low over a period of time.

MAX(High, 20)[0] will produce the highest value in the previous 20 bars looking at each bars High value.
    MIN (Low, 20)[0] will produce the lowest value in the last 20 bars looking at each bars Low value.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Paul,
      Thanks for your reply. Sorry for being unspecific. The Max/Min won't work in this case as the barsAgo will never be a specific period. The highs (for example) could be 10 bars apart or 100. I'll never know until the market does it's thing. I can however tag those high's and print the specific bar number associated with that specific high. My question is: Is there a way to say, "High's were made on bars 550, 571, and 900. Which of those was highest?" Is there a way to make a specific variable for each high and then compare the prices associated with those variables?

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thanks for your reply.

There are a number of ways that this can be done. It almost sounds like you might want to consider using the Swing indicator as that will identify the swing high/low points and allow you to go back and get them. Please see the helpguide here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...nt7/?swing.htm

Alternatively if you can define an algorithm for determining what point you want to keep and what to not keep, you could keep a simple array. Example where lastSavedHigh is the previous high.

if (High[0] > lastSavedHigh) highArray[2] = High[0] (or highArray[2] = CurrentBar)

Or if you do a double array you can save price and bar

if (High[0] > lastSavedHigh) highArray[2])
        {
        highArray[2,0] = High[0];
        highArray[2,1] CurrentBar;
        }

Here is a C# reference to arrays: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9b9dty7d.aspx

Comment

Paul,
          Thank you for the idea on arrays. I believe that the double array is the answer to my issue. However I have never understood arrays. I did study the msdn reference info you directed me to and I'm still lost. I know you guys aren't there to teach basic programming BUT could you throw me a few more bones? I'm unsure of how to declare this array and then how to use the array after the condition. I have the algorithm worked out, just need to understand the array.
          Thanks

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thanks for your reply.

In the region variables:

private double [ , ] nameofyourarray;

Initialize section:

nameofyourarray - new double [9,1]; // where 9 and 1 are real integer values to specify the size of each side. As this is zero based, 9 x1 is really 10 x 2. You can of course use whatever numbers you wish. You could specify it as a [10,2] understanding that it is really 11 x 3 but then you can use the numbers 1 -10 and 1-2 as needed.

In the onbarupdate() section (using the zero based array)

nameofyourarray[0,0] = ...... Price of first high
            nameofyourarray[0,1] = ...... Bar of first high

nameofyourarray[1,0] = ...... Price of second high
            nameofyourarray[1,1] = ...... Bar of second high

nameofyourarray[2,0] = ...... Price of third high
            nameofyourarray[2,1] = ...... bar of third high

Comment

How to tag highs/lows for later comparison

Hello Paul,
              I have been searching for a way to tag double values, thank you. However, I do not understand the meaning of your statement;-
              nameofyourarray - new double [9,1]; // where 9 and 1 are real integer values to specify the size of each side
              What does the 1st index refer to and what does the 2nd index refer to?

I am looking at two double values in FX trades, ( High + 'x' pips and Low - 'y' pips) to provide price values for Entry and Exit Stop Orders. For Long trade, I want to keep the first EnterLongStop value to remain active, even if higher values occur before the Order is Executed.
              Then to exit a Long order, I want the highest value to be used in the ExitLongStop order, even if more and lower values are found, before the Exit order is executed.
              My attempt is shown below:-
              private double [ , ] bGa;
              private double [ , ] iSLa;

bGa = new double [2,2];
              iSLa = new double [2,2]; I don't know if the [2,2] is correct

These occur on the same candle
              bGa[0,0] = (High[0] + FxBG * TickSize);
              bGa[0,1] = CurrentBar;
              iSLa[0,0] = (Low[0] - FxISL * TickSize);
              iSLa[0,0] = CurrentBar;

To say that I do not know what I am doing is an understatement, so any help would be much appreciated.
              Thank you from oldhiker

Comment

Hello oldhiker,

Thanks for your post.

The statement nameofyourarray - new double [9,1]; contains a typo and should be nameofyourarray = new double [9,1]; What it is doing is to declare a new 2 dimensional array. It may be easier to suggest that the 2 dimensional array is like a spreadsheet, so one number is how many rows and the other is how many columns. So in the example there are 10 rows numbered 0 - 9 and 2 columns numbered 0 & 1.

In your example:
                bGa[0,0] = (High[0] + FxBG * TickSize);
                bGa[0,1] = CurrentBar;
                iSLa[0,0] = (Low[0] - FxISL * TickSize);
                iSLa[0,0] = CurrentBar;

I think your last one is overwriting the previously placed low value with the currentbar number. The index should be iSLa[0,1] = CurrentBar;

This link may be of some help: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp...nal_arrays.htm

Comment

Hello Paul, your description and the link to the C# tute was most enlightening. Now I have an understanding, using the spreadsheet reference.

Comment

Paul, your specific reference is a gold mine for information on may other aspects of C#, that will allow me to get a better understanding of the coding in NinjaTrader.
                    A late Christmas present that will be very useful in future.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                    47 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post aligator  
                    Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post jaybedreamin