Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Microsoft Visual Studio && NT7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Visual Studio && NT7 ?

When I've opened my custom indicator by Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, I've seen, that I can't compile this one. How I can do it ?
    I understand, that file with expansion .cs - is not project, and therefore it is not possible compile this one.
    But, I think, that possible, if I shall following same conditions. How I can do it?

Hello,

Visual studio can be used as a syntax editor, the steps you are taking though would present problems if you just opened the .cs file by its self in visual studio.

To have intellesense you would need to use the Custom project, i have composed a video to show how to set this up and compile from NinjaTrader: http://screencast.com/t/eH7y5cedlzh

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Which version of Visual Studio to use?

Im using NinjaTrader 64 bit version 7.0.1000.27.

I would like to use Visual Studio to debug Ninjascript code. Which version would you recommend?

I previously installed Visual Studio 2013 community project edition and found I was getting compile errors in previously working code could this be due to the .net 4.5 framework overriding Ninjatrader 7 .net 3.5 framework? Everything worked fine again when I uninstalled VS2013.

Is strategy creation better from a code writing perspective in Ninjatrader 8 beta and which version of VS would you recommend for code debugging?

I have many 3rd party components in Ninja 7 and not sure how many would automatically work in Ninja 8.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I could not say what errors you may have encountered during your prior usage but if you have followed the direction in the video the project should be able to be used for "syntax editing".

Any version of NinjaTrader can be used with Visual studio and would work with 2013 or 2015, but you would need to first configure the custom project as outlined in the video in order to use Visual studio with NT7 otherwise you would get errors.

NT8 is easier to use with Visual studio as you would not need to configure the project but would still be more complicated than not if you are only using this for output purposes.

Can I ask what is the need for visual studio in your debugging?
        Do you need to attach the debugger to manage breakpoints or are you simply trying to output data? For outputting data and most other debugging, using the platforms output window and NinjaScript editor is generally much easier to use than the custom project.

Using visual studio you are able to do more specific debugging but it is also much more complicated to use if you are not already well versed in using Visual studio for other development tasks.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Visual studio debugging

I would aim to use Visual Studio for debugging (using breakpoints) as I am about to start a development project which may involve writing a lot of code.

I am a professional C# programmer and experienced with using Visual Studio 2010 and to a lesser degree VS 2013. As I am used to all the tools in VS I have previously found writing Ninjascript in Ninjatrader not very user friendly.

Ok thanks will take a look at the video on custom projects thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH