Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Interpreting the code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interpreting the code

Hi,

Does the code below mean exit long if the previous low violates the 3 day DonchianChannel with a displacement by 1?

if (Low[-1] < DonchianChannel(3).Lower[1])
    {
    ExitLong("", "");
    }

Thanks
    Last edited by JT1230; 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

The current syntax would read:

If the low of 1 bar into the future is less than the Lower plot of the DonchianChannel of 1 bar ago , Exit Long.

I believe you would instead be needing the following syntax if you mean to use 1 bars ago.

Code:
    if (Low[1] < DonchianChannel(3).Lower[1])
    {
    ExitLong("", "");
    }
    This would be, if the low of 1 bar ago is less than the Lower plot of the donchianChannel of 1 bar ago.

BarsAgo values are all positive numbers although you are going backwards in time, for example a positive 10 would equal 10 barsAgo into the past.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sorry, I'm confused. Say for example I want to exit long now as the three day low trailing stop has been breached. Is the code the same?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I am not certain I understand the question.

Could you clarify the statement: as the three day low trailing stop has been breached

Are you referring to the DonchianChannel as shown in the prior syntax or are you referring to a trailing stop that was not included in the example?

Comment

Sorry Jess, I think I've mix up the two concepts. What I want is to exit long when there is a break of 3-day low. ( just like what the chart has depicted)

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for clairifing that.

To check if the Current Close has crossed below the 3 day low of the DonchianChannel, you could use a statement like the following:

Code:
            if(CrossBelow(Close,DonchianChannel(3).Lower,1))
            {
                 ExitLong("", "");	
            }
            CrossBelow can be used to detect if a Cross had occured within 1 bars ago.

Comment

May I know what is the difference between Bars ago and Look-back period?
              Last edited by JT1230; 05-31-2016, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Sorry for troubling you again Jesse. Say if I want to print the word "execute" on to the Output window when Close[1]>Close[0]. Should I add anything under "protected override void Initialize()" as the word "execute" is nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

The difference between a BarsAgo and a Lookback period would simply be that one is a fixed point in time, the other is a period of time. A BarsAgo value is a single bar, so 10 bars ago will always be 10 bars ago from the current bar. A LookBack Period of say 50 would include the 50 bars from the start of the period to the end.

Regarding printing Strings to the output window, "execute" would be up to you to program if you want that printed.

A Print statement can take a string, so in the condition you could simply write:

Code:
                  if(Close[1] > Close[0])
                  {
                      Print("Execute");
                  }

Comment

It seem that this code isn't working as I couldn't set the value of barsago in DonchainChannel if Crossabove/ below is used.

if(CrossBelow(Close,DonchianChannel(3).Lower,1)) { ExitLong("", ""); }

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks alot Jesse. One last question, is it possible to do an action right after the condition is fulfilled? Say I want to enter long if ADX is 35, and I want it to execute immediately instead of entering on the next opening
                      Last edited by JT1230; 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

To enter at the time of the condition, you would likely need to utilize a 1 tick series and then also the timeframe used for the main part of the logic. If you do not need this to occur historically, you could see about using OnMarketData as well.

You can find an example of a multi timeframe script included with the platform, it is named SampleMultiTimeFrame.
                        You can find an example of OnMarketData here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...b=OnMarketData

Also you could try using CalculateOnBarClose = false, but this will effect the overall logic you are currently using by executing on 1 tick increments for all logic. In the case you need logic to happen for the primary time frame but then also execute logic on a tick by tick bases this is usually the most correct route to use a multi timeframe script.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                        6 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post DJ888
                        by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                        0 responses