Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Questions from Tradestation user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from Tradestation user

Hello, can someone show me how to do these things? I am a Tradestation user and I am testing NinjaTrader. I just want to get a few things set up quickly so I can see if it works well. If you want to just give me links to the help file, that would be good too. It would save me a a lot of time. Thanks.

1) How do I add a second data series to the chart? For example, the first data series on the chart is ES 10 minutes and the second data series is ES 30 minutes.

2) How do I use the second data series in Ninjascript? For example, say I want to buy 1 contract at the highest high of the last 5 bars on the second data series. How do I do this?

3) What do you do in NinjaTrader during rollover? How do I back adjust the old contract and "connect" it to the new contract.

4) Can Ninjatrader use eSignal's continuous contracts?

1) For visual charting you cannot have two series on one chart. You will need to open two charts, but you can link them together to track the same instrument. For programming this is doable: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...struments.html

2) The link above will get you rolling.

3) You do this via the Instrument Manager. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...sContract.html

4) Yes it can. You can access continuous contracts by calling the ##-## expiry date.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      3) You do this via the Instrument Manager. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...sContract.html

this video only shows you how to remove the old contract and add the new contract. how do you backadjust the old contract and connect the old contract to this new contract? in tradestation, you can go to "Edit Data" and make the price adjustments yourself.

Comment

I believe they will automatically do it.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

sorry but can you give a more precise answer? If they automatically do it, how exactly does it adjust the prices of the old contract? How does it determine which day to roll over?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            1) For visual charting you cannot have two series on one chart. You will need to open two charts, but you can link them together to track the same instrument. For programming this is doable: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...struments.html

let me see if i understand what this means. i cannot visually display a second data series on the chart. but i can build a strategy using a second data series. this is because i can use the add() function to add the second data series to my code. correct?

Comment

Your understanding is correct.

Comment

another question: is auto-trading reliable? i want to leave it unattended.

are there any quirks that i need to be aware of? for example, if IB TWS goes pink for 2 seconds, will auto-trading turn itself off and not turn itself back on again?

Comment

>> i want to leave it unattended.
                  We recommend NEVER doing that. Too much stuff could go wrong which would require your manual interaction.

BTW: There just was started a thread on this forum on this issue a few days ago. You might want to look it up. Don't have a link at hand right now.

Comment

are there any known issues or is this jut a general precaution. what good is auto-trading if i can't leave it unattended?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                    >> i want to leave it unattended.
                    We recommend NEVER doing that. Too much stuff could go wrong which would require your manual interaction.

BTW: There just was started a thread on this forum on this issue a few days ago. You might want to look it up. Don't have a link at hand right now.

Comment

- order rejection
                      - connection broken
                      - general hardware/infrastructure failure
                      etc.

Comment

order rejection:

do you mean order rejected based on insufficient funds or something like that? if yes, then this is my fault and i will make damn sure i plan my trading so that it doesn't happen.

or do you mean there are unknown reasons why IBTWS rejects ninjatrader orders sometimes?

connection broken:
                        does ninjatrader frequently lose connection with IBTWS or are you talking about my internet connection?

hardware/infrastructure failure:
                        again, are you talking about known problems with ninjatrader or are you talking about my computer failing in general?

and hardwre/infrastructure failure would be

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                        - order rejection
                        - connection broken
                        - general hardware/infrastructure failure
                        etc.

Comment

I'm not talking about NT related issues but issues which could happen on automated trading in general. I suggest following up on the thread I linked below, since there appear to be a bunch of guys running NT automated. You may want to ask them for their experience...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                          Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                          8 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB