Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NO intellisense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO intellisense

Is there some setting that I need to enable in order to get intellisense to work for UnderDefinedMethods and user defined classes within the NinjaTrader.Strategy namespace?

Hello d.allen101, and thank you for your question.

The NinjaScript editor is a front-end to Microsoft Visual Studio's editor. As such, your options for configuring the editor are limited. For a more robust editor, I recommend opening your script with Microsoft Visual Studio. NinjaTrader 8 makes this easy with its visual studio integration, which is documented here,

Once your code is open in the full featured Visual Studio environment, other users who have noticed the same with regard to IntelliSense have found the following publicly available Stack Overflow post helpful.

Just recently, my Visual Studio 2010 stopped displaying IntelliSense suggestions automatically while I am typing. I can still press ctrl+space to get it to work, but it doesn't automatically show ...

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm not currently using/running NinjaTrader v8. Also I tried all of the solutions from the stockOverFlow thread and none worked. NinjaTrader is just buggy software...it's fine. I'll try a complete reinstall and see if that works.
      Last edited by d.allen101; 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

A reinstall is unlikely to help. Just to clarify, some of the steps from the Stack Overflow link required you to use Visual Studio, not NinjaTrader.

I am including a video where I demonstrate launching Visual Studio from NinjaTrader 8.

If for any reason that does not work for you, please let us know, and we will find another way to get your code loaded in an environment where you have more IntelliSense options.

Comment

So if I want to use intellisense I have use NinjaTrader v8? I can't use v7 anymore?

Comment

Thank you for clarifying, I was unsure which version of Ninja you were using. Ninja 7 scripts can be opened through IntelliSense as well, but the configuration is non-trivial.

Would it be possible to send a video of what is happening in the native NinjaScript editor when you attempt to use IntelliSense? You may use the freely and publicly available screen capture software Jing, https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html , or a similar program which can record video of what is happening on your screen. These quick instructions can get you started with Jing.
            1. When you start Jing, a yellow half circle will appear near the top of your screen. Please hover over it with your mouse
            2. A small + sign will extend out of this half circle. Please click on it
            3. When your cursor becomes two intersecting lines, please click and drag your mouse over an area of your screen you would like to record
            4. Please press the film strip button that appears to begin recording
            5. When you are finished recording, please press the square stop button that appears
            6. Please press the share button that appears. It consists of three vertical upward pointing arrows.

You will then have the option to view your video on screencast.com . This is the link which can help me diagnose what is happening on your end. It is possible you will need to set up a free account in order to share videos.

Thank you very much in advance for providing us with this information. If this procedure is not an option for you, or if there are any other questions we can answer, please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by d.allen101 View Post
              Is there some setting that I need to enable in order to get intellisense to work for UnderDefinedMethods and user defined classes within the NinjaTrader.Strategy namespace?
              Just open the UserDefinedMethods file in the editor. That will force Intellisense to cache its data, and allow it to work properly.

Comment

I've tried that. It's just not working for some reason. It will give me the metadata once I've instantiate the object or if I'm using the a UserDefinedMethod after I've written out the full method or property name
                Last edited by d.allen101; 10-06-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

NinjaTrader is a VERY buggy software! I personally stopped using it years ago. I'm doing some work for a client...She's considering using this as her front-end I'm trying to convince her not to. Too many bugs eg (no intellisense) This is foolishness to deal with if you're focused on coding. I don't have time to waste trying and figure out why an IDE that's been in production for at least 10 yrs still isn't working properly. This is silly. I'll pass...
                  Last edited by d.allen101; 10-06-2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from.

A video would make it easier to see why your platform's intellisense is not responding. What you are describing is highly atypical. I have researched this case and I was unable to find any other customers describing this. I would like to help in any way I can. With a little bit of information from you I believe we will be able to resolve your query. I do understand your time is valuable. If a video is not going to be possible, please let us know and we can try another approach.

That said, as far as improving our user experience, NinjaTrader 8 is our focus right now, and while we plan on supporting NinjaTrader 7 for existing customers for quite a while, NinjaTrader 8 is in the release candidate stage. We plan on supporting 7, and on improving the NinjaTrader 8 product.

I would encourage you, if you would like to migrate away from the NinjaTrader 7 platform, to give NinjaTrader 8 a try. It has a lot of enhancements when it comes to editing and debugging NinjaScript, including allowing you to use your own editor. NinjaTrader 8 can actually detect when you are making code changes and re-compile any code you save in an external editor every time you save.

If you are able to replicate this with the built-in editor for NinjaTrader 8, even after loading all affected files into the editor, or if the NinjaScript editor for NinjaTrader 8 is in any way not performing competitively with every other code editor on the market, please let us know. Improving our user experience is our top priority.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                    168 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sidlercom80  
                    Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes