Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many threads used by NT8

Hi,

What is the maximum number of threads (Multithreading) NT8 works on. I am planning a PC for NT8 and trying to figure out the CPU to be used.

Shall I go for single, dual or quad core?
    Will hyperthreading be of any use for NT8?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Koushik Das

Hi,

I just did a new build just for NT8. If your looking to optimize stratagies then a dual core would do. Though I would just got for the i7-6700k intel Quad core processor with 32 GB in DDR4 memory RAM. A good SSD that can handle high read/write (most PCI SSD's are good performers).

If budget isnt a constraint, then you can opt for what I didI..went with the new i7-6900k 8 core processor and 64 GB DDR4 3000GHz. A samsung SSD PCI NVMe drive with a 1070 8GB GPU. Overkill? Maybe but thats how I roll .. might as well go in with a F-35 rather than a BB gun

Goodluck and

Comment

Hi Ashmanz,

Thanks for the kind reply.

So can I conclude that NT8 is capable of multi-core and multi-threading. Is there any good resource you can point to which specifically verifies the same.

To start with I want to build the system which will utilize fully the resources by NT8, later if the budget permits might go for the up gradation.

Regards
      Koushik

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Hi Ashmanz,

Thanks for the kind reply.

So can I conclude that NT8 is capable of multi-core and multi-threading. Is there any good resource you can point to which specifically verifies the same.

To start with I want to build the system which will utilize fully the resources by NT8, later if the budget permits might go for the up gradation.

Regards
        Koushik
        just be careful.. I have been caught out by where i didn't realize no matter how powerful a pc, NT only dedicates 1 thread per instrument. If you have more than 1 strategy on the same instrument this may cause NT to freeze up.

Comment

Originally posted by radicaltrader View Post
          just be careful.. I have been caught out by where i didn't realize no matter how powerful a pc, NT only dedicates 1 thread per instrument. If you have more than 1 strategy on the same instrument this may cause NT to freeze up.
          What I could quickly search out in the net:

1. NT uses multi-thread while back-testing, but still single thread for single instrument
          2. While used for live trading, NT always uses a single thread

These comments are for NT7, is it the same for NT8 also

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            What I could quickly search out in the net:

1. NT uses multi-thread while back-testing, but still single thread for single instrument
            2. While used for live trading, NT always uses a single thread

These comments are for NT7, is it the same for NT8 also
            I'm sure that is the case for NT8. i will be corrected if wrong.
            I sometimes run into issues where i have more than one strategy running with AUDUSD. Everything will just freeze up requiring a reboot.

Comment

Hello Koushik,

Here is what NT8 recommends..

Recommended PC Specifications

NinjaTrader 8 was designed to take full advantage of modern PC architecture. To achieve the highest possible level of performance, NinjaTrader 8 will utilize all available CPU cores and additional memory resources. Depending on your actual usage with NinjaTrader, you may need more or less resources than the average user. Additional memory will be of direct benefit when running strategy optimizations, and the amount of additional memory needed is proportional to the number of CPU cores available.

2 (GHz) or faster quad core 64-bit processor
              8 GB RAM
              DirectX 10 compatible graphics card
              SSD Hard Drive
              Last edited by ashmanz80; 10-10-2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ashmanz80 View Post
                Hello Koushik,

Here is what NT8 recommends..

Recommended PC Specifications

NinjaTrader 8 was designed to take full advantage of modern PC architecture. To achieve the highest possible level of performance, NinjaTrader 8 will utilize all available CPU cores and additional memory resources. Depending on your actual usage with NinjaTrader, you may need more or less resources than the average user. Additional memory will be of direct benefit when running strategy optimizations, and the amount of additional memory needed is proportional to the number of CPU cores available.

2 (GHz) or faster quad core 64-bit processor
                8 GB RAM
                DirectX 10 compatible graphics card
                SSD Hard Drive
                Sounds definitive enough but would love a confirmation that a 6 or 8 core cpu will be fully utilized. I'm undergoing a new computer build as well and debating between the 6700k and 6800k.

Comment

Hello Jabbar, I have the 6900k 8 core but I honestly think 4 or 6 would do the same job just as good. I like the i7-6700k more and its more budget friendly and is clocked higher at 4GHZ already. If you want to have something a bit better go for the i7-6850 instead which has a higher clock than the i7-6800k. Both ways its a win-win as both are excellent processors.

Check out the snaps of my PC operating while NT8 is running an optimization on tick data.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ashmanz80; 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ashmanz80 View Post
                    Hello Jabbar, I have the 6900k 8 core but I honestly think 4 or 6 would do the same job just as good. I like the i7-6700k more and its more budget friendly and is clocked higher at 4GHZ already. If you want to have something a bit better go for the i7-6850 instead which has a higher clock than the i7-6800k. Both ways its a win-win as both are excellent processors.

Check out the snaps of my PC operating while NT8 is running an optimization on tick data.

Here is an i7-3770k (4 core) overclocked to 4.5 GHz doing 18 charts, tape and dom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-07-pic1.PNG
Views:	335
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1159148 .

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view