Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Best book or video to learn Ninja Script???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best book or video to learn Ninja Script???

Want to learn NS and would like the best way to learn. BTW, what language is it?

Hello SinatraFan,

Thanks for your post.

While we cannot recommend any specific 3rd party video or book, we can provide you with links to assist in your educational efforts. Perhaps other forum members can chime in with their information.

Ninjascript is written in C# programming language so Ninjascript provides methods and properties you can use for your indicator/strategy scripting needs.

If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started.

In the help guide, there are language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. All links below are publicly available.

If you are new to C#, to get a basic foundation for the concepts and syntax used in NinjaScript I would recommend this section of articles in our NT7 help guide first: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._resources.htm

Here is a link to the NT8 Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._resources.htm

The best way to begin learning NT8 NinjaScript is to use the Strategy Builder. With the Strategy Builder you can set up conditions and variables and then see the generated code in the NinjaScript Editor by clicking the View Code button. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gy_builder.htm

I'm also providing a link to a pre-recorded video of 'Strategy Builder 301' for you to view at your own convenience.
    Strategy Builder 301 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyt...ZmVnauWXkWe0Nf

When you are ready to work directly in Ninjascript you will be using the Ninjascript editor, here is a link to the Ninjascript 401 editor:
    NinjaScript Editor 401 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0W...ZmVnauWXkWe0Nf

The entire Alphabetical Reference can be found with the following link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._reference.htm

Below are links to Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies. These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ce_samples.htm

Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...n-us/?tips.htm
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by SinatraFan View Post
      Want to learn NS and would like the best way to learn. BTW, what language is it?
      From my quite extensive searching, there are no good tutorials available for learning NinjaScript8; at least none that are relevant to version 8.0.19.0.

I wanted to take a simple indicator line and color the slope according to positive or negative. No such tutorial for a simple sounding problem. Turns out this is not a simple coding task at all. And then, of course, the problem of how to get user selectable input for the colors.

Ever hear of Brushes? Using them to color objects is not so difficult. Try doing it with an indicator line that will have more than one color. Ever hear of serialization? That is what makes it non-intuitive and difficult to accomplish. I finally figured it out by checking and experimenting with bits of code from various sources. The excessive time and effort I had to put into doing this could have been reduced drastically if one of the coders in customer service would have spent a day putting together a simple indicator tutorial instead of answering questions about where to find (essentially non-existent) NinjaScript 8 tutorials.
      Last edited by DrDave; 11-06-2019, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Hello DrDave,

Thanks for your post.

I've added your vote to an existing feature request to provide NT7 like tutorials to NT8. The feature request is identified as SFT-1929.
        We appreciate your feedback.

You may be able to find additional Ninjascript educational resources by an internet search
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PaulH View Post
          Hello DrDave,

Thanks for your post.

I've added your vote to an existing feature request to provide NT7 like tutorials to NT8. The feature request is identified as SFT-1929.
          We appreciate your feedback.

You may be able to find additional Ninjascript educational resources by an internet search
          It's a pity that NinjaTrader management appear to be satisfied that the "correct" class of coders is attracted. It gives an air of NinjaScript being targeted to those with professional level coding credentials and leaving non-professional coders to try NinjaScript, give up for lack of useful beginner tutorials, and move on.

Clearly, with ticket SFT-1929 having been opened at some unknown time BEFORE November 23, 2018 and no useful beginner tutorials for coding in NinjaScript for NinjaTrader 8 in sight, the company is either in serious trouble and cannot allocate resources for this, or simply does not see a monetary benefit to allocating resources to this area. But whatever, the reason, the message you send is, "Not a professional level coder? Then just move on--you are not relevant to our marketing approach."

Comment

Originally posted by DrDave View Post

It's a pity that NinjaTrader management appear to be satisfied that the "correct" class of coders is attracted. It gives an air of NinjaScript being targeted to those with professional level coding credentials and leaving non-professional coders to try NinjaScript, give up for lack of useful beginner tutorials, and move on.

Clearly, with ticket SFT-1929 having been opened at some unknown time BEFORE November 23, 2018 and no useful beginner tutorials for coding in NinjaScript for NinjaTrader 8 in sight, the company is either in serious trouble and cannot allocate resources for this, or simply does not see a monetary benefit to allocating resources to this area. But whatever, the reason, the message you send is, "Not a professional level coder? Then just move on--you are not relevant to our marketing approach."
            Com'n Doc. Give them credit, no other platform provides coding support to their customers as much as NT does. This is their business model and has been a success all these years.

Even If you don't know the basics of C# programming the help section, sample indicators, and video tutorial links mentioned above will give you enough information to intuitively edit or modify any NT indicator or add-ons if you wish to do your own coding. Otherwise, a Third Party will do most custom coding for less than the cost of a root canal.

Coding is like learning a new language, requires knowing the basics and a lot of practice. NinjaTrader provides the basics, but can not provide a recipe for every unique coding need in their documentation.

Cheers!

Comment

Downloaded NT8 last January. Poured through all the material mentioned by others above. Learning curve for me a non-coder was steep, but the option to view the code from the strategy wizard really helped me. Been running an algorithm I built since May 1 with solid results (+23%).
              NT is a tool, the sellers are not an “NT teaching service” per say. Yet everything you need to succeed is freely available. Just do the work, and the concepts will eventually start to make sense. Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by aligator View Post

Com'n Doc. Give them credit, no other platform provides coding support to their customers as much as NT does.
                That is simply not true.
                This is their business model and has been a success all these years.
                Really? Then I guess that all of those video tutorials for NT7 that have been posted by NinjaTrader Customer Service were created by a third party and transferred to customer service for posting.

Even If you don't know the basics of C# programming the help section, sample indicators, and video tutorial links mentioned above will give you enough information to intuitively edit or modify any NT indicator or add-ons if you wish to do your own coding. Otherwise, a Third Party will do most custom coding for less than the cost of a root canal.
                According to that, you either did not read what I wrote in post #5, or you have problems with reading comprehension.

Coding is like learning a new language, requires knowing the basics and a lot of practice. NinjaTrader provides the basics, but can not provide a recipe for every unique coding need in their documentation.

Cheers!
                I did not describe a unique coding need. I described a rather basic one: create a simple indicator and color it with different colors as the slope changes, and create user editable colors. Again, did you even read what I wrote in post $5?

Comment

I did not describe a unique coding need. I described a rather basic one: create a simple indicator and color it with different colors as the slope changes, and create user editable colors. Again, did you even read what I wrote in post $5?
                  Seems with the advent of YouTube.. No one likes to read...

Control Center / Help / Help Guide

Left Click NinjaScript at Bottom to expand...then expand Educational Resources...

Working with Brushes.. (Explains exactly what you need to create custom brushes)

Also, at bottom of Educational Resources, is Reference Samples.. In Indicator section..

Multi-Colored Plots..
                  (Provides exact sample of dynamically changing plot colors
                  )

-=Edge=-
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

That is simply not true.
                    Really? Then I guess that all of those video tutorials for NT7 that have been posted by NinjaTrader Customer Service were created by a third party and transferred to customer service for posting.

According to that, you either did not read what I wrote in post #5, or you have problems with reading comprehension.

Wrong, I did read your notes. Sounds like asking for being spoon fed.

The information that PaulH gave you is all you need, if you bother to read and 'comprehend' them without even knowing C#.

One of the sample codes referenced by PaulH, SampleMultiColorPlot_NT8.Zip, is almost exactly what you are trying to re-invent.
                    Last edited by aligator; 11-10-2019, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                    6 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DJ888
                    by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view