Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8 Vet, NT7 Noob needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Vet, NT7 Noob needs help

Hi

I've been programming in NT8 for over a year now, but just yesterday started to try to develop an indicator in NT7 because I'm trying to use a third-party indicator that is only available for NT7. I realize the coding should be pretty similar, but I am running into problems.

The third-party indicator is a supply and demand indicator from Ninjacators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RToANvYyu0. It's included in the attachments as ncatRSDstrategyNT7.zip.

My indicator, SupplyAndDemand.zip, is simply trying to plot the current supply and demand level.

The issue I am running into is that the values are 0 until the very last bar at which time they are correct, as can be seen in the screenshot below.

I don't know if I'm instantiating something incorrectly or what, but if anyone has any advice or can see something that I am doing wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jesse; 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: removed dll file per upload guidelines

Hello calebsandfort,

Thank you for the post.

I took a look at the zip you provided however it contains a .dll protected file, as such I have removed that part of your post per the file upload guidelines.

The attached sample of the strategy is not specifically helpful in this case because it is protected so we cannot see what code is being used. With that being said, it would be difficult to understand why the value is 0 without knowing how the code works. This could relate to the indicators logic or how the strategy is accessing it.

Do you have a complete example with only source code that we can view?

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello calebsandfort,

Thank you for the post.

I took a look at the zip you provided however it contains a .dll protected file, as such I have removed that part of your post per the file upload guidelines.

The attached sample of the strategy is not specifically helpful in this case because it is protected so we cannot see what code is being used. With that being said, it would be difficult to understand why the value is 0 without knowing how the code works. This could relate to the indicators logic or how the strategy is accessing it.

Do you have a complete example with only source code that we can view?

The zip attachment that you removed is the third-party indicator that I'm trying to leverage. I just included it so people would be able to import it and my SupplyAndDemand indicator would be able to reference it. I don't know why they put strategy in the title. For what it's worth, that's a free indicator that Ninjacators sent me.

So, if you imported the ncatRSDstrategyNT7 indicator and then my SupplyAndDemand indicator and applied both to a chart, that would be your complete example.

The SupplyAndDemand.zip is my indicator that is trying to plot values from the third-party indicator. If the .dll wasn't protected, I would just decompile it and look at the code myself, which I have tried multiple ways with no success.

I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong NT7 related with how I'm instantiating the third-party indicator or accessing it's data series in my SupplyAndDemand indicator. This is just a last ditch effort to try get to the bottom of it, so if nothing comes of this that is fine, but I thought I would give it a shot and see if anyone could help.

Thanks

Comment

Hello calebsandfort,

Thank you for the reply.

So, if you imported the ncatRSDstrategyNT7 indicator and then my SupplyAndDemand indicator and applied both to a chart, that would be your complete example.
        Yes in this case we don't have the full context to understand the problem. As noted this could be based on how the indicator is setting its data To confirm it is not how you are calling the indicator you can form a more simple test using an open source indicator like the SMA. This would just confirm the chain you are making works in that use case. I tried this as well and it looks like the indicator being used is the problem, it would be unknown how to correctly call this item due to it being closed source. I can suggest contacting the vendor of this item to check if it is possible to be used in this way, and if so what syntax is needed for that.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
          Hello calebsandfort,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes in this case we don't have the full context to understand the problem. As noted this could be based on how the indicator is setting its data To confirm it is not how you are calling the indicator you can form a more simple test using an open source indicator like the SMA. This would just confirm the chain you are making works in that use case. I tried this as well and it looks like the indicator being used is the problem, it would be unknown how to correctly call this item due to it being closed source. I can suggest contacting the vendor of this item to check if it is possible to be used in this way, and if so what syntax is needed for that.

Thanks for looking into this Jesse. I think you are right that the third-party indicator is the problem. I've been back and forth with the vendor and haven't been able to get any good info, so I'm just going to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by calebsandfort View Post
            For what it's worth, that's a free indicator that Ninjacators sent me.
            IIRC, some vendors (like Ninjacators) provide a protected free version of an indicator that also has a paid version of the same name.

The difference is, the free version (usually) has no exported values and cannot be used by other indicators or inside strategies.

This difference is intentional, and is usually mentioned somewhere in the advertising for the paid version.

I don't know if that's the issue in your case, but I would not be surprised.

In other words, it's quite possible you have been intentionally thwarted by said vendor of the free indicator from using their free
            indicator in a strategy.

This is not an NT7 issue, per se. This is probably more about a vendor's decision to intentionally under-develop their free products,
            so that they can drive interest in their feature-laden paid versions. The same thing is possible with NT8 products, too.

Check back with the vendor about a paid version of the indicator that properly exports the values needed by a strategy.
            (The exported values you need are probably considered a feature of the paid version.)

Good luck!

Last edited by bltdavid; 08-30-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post XXtrader  
            Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Waxavi