Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Hi and Low PIvots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and Low PIvots

I want to learn ninjascript but have a ways to go. I would like to have the high and low pivots marked on my charts. My definition of a high pivot is is a high with three lower highs before it and three lower highs after it. They do not have to all be lower than each other just lower than the highest high. When this occurs I would like some type of drawing over the highest hi such as HP for high pivot and the opposite for low pivots which could be marked LP or even just a dot would be helpful. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Hello Spark68,

Thanks for your first post in the forums!

I would suggest looking at the Swing indicator in your platform as this indicator will mark all swing points based on the "strength" setting. The strength setting dictates how many bars after a high (or low) has occurred before it is confirmed as the High (or low). The higher the strength setting the fewer swing points you would see meaning that the ones shown are likely more significant. I would suggest putting this on the chart and testing with various settings to see what works best for you.

Another indicator you might want to use in addition to Swing is NinjaPriceAction which is found in the NT user Apps (link below). This indicator uses the Swing indicator and will label the swing points and can also mark double top and double bottom. If you use both indicators on the same chart, make sure you set the "strength" setting to be the same.

Here is a link to the indicator: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...japriceaction/ Please note: The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Once you have a better idea of how Swing works, you can then create an indicator that uses the Swing indicator to provide those swing points. Here is a link to the Swing Ninjascript help guide: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nt8/?swing.htm The method allows you to pull the Swing High or Low as well as the bars ago that these occurred. You would of course need to create the logic to sort through these swing points to see that they match your requirements. To add a label, you would use the Draw.text() method. Here is a link to that method: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?draw_text.htm

Alternatively, if you would like an indicator created for you, we can provide a link to 3rd party programmers through the NinjaTrdaer Ecosystem.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Spark68 View Post
      I want to learn ninjascript but have a ways to go.
      Focus on learning C# as well -- "NinjaScript" is just the name of a C# framework.

I would like to have the high and low pivots marked on my charts. My definition of a high pivot is is a high with three lower highs before it and three lower highs after it.
      The word 'Pivot' already has a well-known and widely accepted concept attached to it.

You can co-opt that word, of course, but I do not recommend you do that --
      you'll just confuse yourself and have a difficult time communicating with other
      NinjaTrader users (and other traders, too, because a term like 'Floor Pivots'
      is a universal thing, not just a NinjaTrader thing.)

So, don't use the word 'Pivot' like that.
      Why? Because there is a better word already in use ...

Your description is perfectly aligned with the concept of a 'Swing'.

Try reading this to better understand the default Swing indicator.
      The expressions you're looking for are 'Swing High' and 'Swing Low'.

When this occurs I would like some type of drawing over the highest hi such as HP for high pivot and the opposite for low pivots which could be marked LP or even just a dot would be helpful. Thanks any help would be appreciated.
      Instead of 'HP and 'LP' most indicators that label the swing points use 4 common abbreviations,
      HH - Higher High
      LH - Lower High
      LL - Lower Low
      HL - Higher Low

And, since double-top's and double-bottom's are easily recognized, they, too, get labels,
      DT - Double Top
      DB - Double Bottom

See attached screenshot.

You can get the above functionality via the PriceActionSwingPro indicator, which is
      available for free at futures.io.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bltdavid; 07-09-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much PaulH and bitdavid. This is just what I was looking for and appreciate the advice on my terminology.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920  
        Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920