Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Variable Index Dynamic Average (VIDYA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable Index Dynamic Average (VIDYA)

Is the Variable Index Dynamic Average (VIDYA) indicator by Tushar Chande available in NT? I can't seem to find much information on this in the forum.

tjendra,

I am not familiar with this indicator, but if it is publicly available you may want to search through the File Sharing section to see if you can find it.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes it is.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Elliott. I load the indicator up but it does not seem to be the VIDYA I'm looking for. The VIDYA you provided is an oscillator. I'm looking for the VIDYA that is a moving average that automatically adjusts its speed based on market volatility. Attach a link to what I'm refering to. http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/vidya.html
        Last edited by tjendra; 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

This is the only version I have. Maybe someone else has what you are looking for.

Comment

Try the VMA indicator included with NT - according to the documentation they are the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayB1 View Post
              Try the VMA indicator included with NT - according to the documentation they are the same thing.
              Thanks ClayB1, will try that out.

Comment

there is a better VIDYA

unless i'm mistaken, the NT version is based on StDev. the improved version uses a dimensionless market value that ranges from 0 to 1. checkout pg 58 of the book by Chande & Kroll. you can use ANY oscillator to calculate VIDYA so long as it is dimensionless and varies from 0 to 1. personally, i use R Squared. with this i can use a 1000 period moving average that will compete with and frequently beat a 10 period moving average. the reason i don't post this improved indicator is that it cost me $hundreds$ to have coded by one of the NT certified script consultants.
                in my experience, any time the VIDYA is offered in a software program, it's the StDev version. any one familiar with fractals or madelbrot knows that prices are not normally distributed. like i said at the top, there is a better VIDYA available.
                why i point this out now is because, i'm currently in development of even better and more reliable volatility indicators. for all those not already in "the know" this improved VIDYA will certainly improve your results.
                for all those not familiar with the wonders of VIDYA, too bad for them. happy trading!!
                JM

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymustard View Post
                  unless i'm mistaken, the NT version is based on StDev. the improved version uses a dimensionless market value that ranges from 0 to 1. checkout pg 58 of the book by Chande & Kroll. you can use ANY oscillator to calculate VIDYA so long as it is dimensionless and varies from 0 to 1. personally, i use R Squared. with this i can use a 1000 period moving average that will compete with and frequently beat a 10 period moving average. the reason i don't post this improved indicator is that it cost me $hundreds$ to have coded by one of the NT certified script consultants.
                  in my experience, any time the VIDYA is offered in a software program, it's the StDev version. any one familiar with fractals or madelbrot knows that prices are not normally distributed. like i said at the top, there is a better VIDYA available.
                  why i point this out now is because, i'm currently in development of even better and more reliable volatility indicators. for all those not already in "the know" this improved VIDYA will certainly improve your results.
                  for all those not familiar with the wonders of VIDYA, too bad for them. happy trading!!
                  JM
                  You are mistaken, the NinjaTrader version is not based on the standard deviation, but on the CMO (Chande Momentum Oscillator). If you prefer a version of the VIDYA which uses the RSquared, you only need to change a single line in the code of the default indicator.

The modified indicator is attached.

I have also attached a chart comparing the VIDYA(CMO) to the VIDYA (RSquared).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Harry; 12-15-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                  24 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post spwizard  
                  Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Max238