Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Rising ADX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rising ADX

Just wondering if anyone has coded an ADX that shows when the ADX line is rising?

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff, I'm not aware of an indicator for this, but you can work with this reference sample for this - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3227
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

rising adx

Hi Bertrand,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to cut and paste the sma color indicator into the adx but it didn't work. I changed every sma to adx but it still says that it expects a "statement." I have no idea what kind of statement to make. As you can see this is my first attempt to alter an indicator and don't really know what I am doing. Can you see what I did wrong?

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Please post what you have so we can evaluate it and give you pointers.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ADX calcs

Also, I was reading about the ADX and came accross this comment
          The problem with rounding
          Unfortunately, a few of the popular software providers follow Wilder's original instructions which called for rounding the ADX to the nearest whole number. Rounding causes serious problems when trying to measure the critical rate of change. For example a significant upward move from 25.05 to 25.35 leaves the rounded ADX unchanged at 25 while an insignificant move from 25.45 to 25.55 jumps the ADX a whole point from 25 to 26.
          To use the ADX correctly we must carry the calculations out to at least two decimal places. I have pointed out this problem to various charting services over the years and most of them have understood and modified their formulas.
          Fortunately most software providers now carry their calculations out to the required two or three decimal places and there are many places on the web where ADX can be obtained for free.
          I primarily rely on the ADX for entry signals and have not found it to be of much value after the trade has been initiated. Exit strategies generally require more precise timing than the slow moving ADX can provide.
          The ADX is a very robust indicator and I have had good results using ADX settings as short as 7 bars and as long as 30 bars. The fact that the ADX produces good results regardless of its exact parameter setting is a tribute to its robustness and reliability. Reliable indicators should work well over a wide range of settings. Beware of indicators that require very precise parameter settings to work effectively

Can you tell me if Ninja rounds the ADX ?

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

First attempt

It says that the indicator is more than 5 times the capability of the system! Now what? So I can't post it

Comment

You might try ADXVMA, attached.

Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

adxvma

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. Did you work with the "Chimp" on the adxvma?
                I've been looking at the LBR site and saw that "Pocketman" had a couple of interesting ADX indicators. (He's with PhotonTrader)

Great blog. I'll be checking in.

Jeff

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by pvincent, 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM
                14 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Nyman
                by Nyman

Started by TraderG23, 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM